Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speedo cable????

Will Statt

Montreal
My speedo packed up last night... it acted erraticaly for a few miles, then the needle just dropped to zero... and hasn't budged again! Is it a cable or is it likely to be the instrument? Can't find any mention on my CD based 993 manual (mine is '97 C4)

Any one had similar event, or know what I need to replace?

Any help much appreciated

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11714

Sounds like the cable to me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11715

...or this was the early symptom of failing alternator on my car as the battery was allowed to discharge, given that the gauges are all electronically driven.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11716

So... if the gauges are electrically driven... then CT993 is wrong when he says the cable is the likely cause? Mine (car) seems to have no alternator problems... charges fine, and turns over and starts instantly! Can anyone point me to the relevant pages in the CD based service manual?

I don't want to go and book it in somewhere if it's possibly a simple job

Many thanks

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11717

I live and learn manek ! Just showing my age I suppose.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11718

Most likely the speedo sender.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11721

is that an easy thing to replace? Where exactly is it? On the gearbox perhaps or the final drive? (i'm a bit of a diy'er)

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11725

It's most likely on the gearbox , If Ican find the info I'll post a test for failure. If you are not good at DIY , do the test first and then go to a mechanic to get the job done . Should be an hours labour including the test plus the part.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11727

Second thoughts take it to a shop, I'm not sure how this applies to a 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11729

Cheers all.... thanks for the advice and help.

Great this site innit!?

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11733

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back