Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch/Gearbox when cold

Noize

Hi all, the gearbox on my 993 is always stiff when starting from cold, but is fine once everything is warmed up.

This morning (after a very cold night) when I started her up, the gearbox refused to engage in any gear with the engine running. If I tried to select a gear, the car creeped forward slightly (even though the clutch was in). In the end I switched the engine off and then I could select first and start the engine with the clutch in. Again, once warmed up everything was fine.

Any idea what causes this and what might fix it? I really hope it's not a new clutch or gearbox :(

Cheers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11644

Try a gearbox oil change to ensure that the correct oil is being used and at the right level and a clutch hydraulic fluid bleed to ensure that there is no air in the system, my gearbox and differential are stiffer when cold and were on the 3.2 Carrera I had before the 993.

If the oil/fluid are ok and it still happens then it could be the clutch or clutch release bearing sticking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11646

Noize

Sounds like clutch release bearing sticking - may just need some lubrication and you'll be fine (as the cold weather last night would have effected it more) - otherwise it's a new clutch!Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11651

I have never had the problem on a Porsche, but I've had a similar problem on our Land Rover Defender and it turned out to be a seal on the clutch master cylinder causing it to loose preasure once it had stood for a while. If you have the problem again, pump the clutch several times and then try to put the car in gear, if it works then you probably have a similar problem.

The fact that it is better once the car has warmed up could be because you have used the clutch a few times and built up the residual pressure.

Paul, 2004 GT3

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11674

Are you sure you haven't stolen the tranny from my '78 SC sportomatic while it's been waiting for me to remove it for a rebuild? I'll check in the morning because that sounds very familiar.
Seriously though if your hydraulics are not up to scratch those are xactly the symptoms you would have at cold start and check the gearbox oil level too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11702

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get the relevant stuff checked.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11706

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back