Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

new clutch for a 993

johntal

Hi everyybody

I'm after some second opinions...a couple of months ago i bought a 1995 midnight blue 993 from an independant dealer - all in all im very happy. however, i've been a bit unsure as to the state of the clutch over the past couple of weeks so asked another garage (camtune in godalming) to take it round the block and their opinion was that the clutch was indeed on its way out.

the car came with a warantee so given that ive only done 2000 miles tops and the car itself is comming up to 50,000 miles should i expect the warrantee to cover a replacement ? the garages initial response was to go 50 : 50. Is that a generous offer or should i push for the whole lot ?

Thanks

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11291

Cluthch wouldn't be covered by a warranty, I think since it eventually wears out (unless only recently replaced but from what you write it appears to be on its original). Did you have a PPI on the car? I personally think 50:50 sounds generous but check what the warraty states.

His

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11292

John

Agree with His - 50/50 is a good bet unless you had a PPI done which stated the clutch was wearing - not that this would help you much at this stage. It's more the time than the mileage at this point, so take it. You'll be massively impressed when you drive the car with a new clutch - the difference is amazing. Been there, done it and loved it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11410

get an RS clutch and flywheel while you are at it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11464

Poon,

Rennlisters have infected you quite badly :D
and now you are trying to spread it around! Ought to use some protection mate.

His

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11471

Hi

Thanks for the input. I'm afaraid i didnt have a PPI - when i was looking round i had every intention of doing so, even having the phone number of the guy in my pocket as i was travelling round. And then before i new it this kind of mist appeared and well......a bit like the rose petal scene from ameican beauty. Anyway, I'm taking the car back to have the owrk done tomorrow on a 50:50 basis.

Cheers

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11605

what dealer did you buy the car from originally?

Just curious as I think 50:50 sounds quite fair given the lack of PPI.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11683

I bought the car from Shirleys Garage.

Actually there has been another twist in that having taken it back up there they werent convinced it was related to the clutch but likely to be more complex (im not sitting with my notepad and cant remember exactly what the diagnosis was) but the point is that the work would still involve dismantling the car to a point where they felt it would still be worthwhile to take the opportunity to replace the clutch anyway.

Basically I'm getting a new clutch (50:50) and also the work to fix the problem in the first place under the warranty.

Incidently they were also critical of Camtunes approach in diagnosing the problem in the first place.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11724

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back