Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery

Cooper

Hello all.

I think I need to buy a new battery for my 92 C4.

Has anyone purchased one for such a car as I am interested to know where to go,what make etc, and also how they perform.

The reason I think I need one is that after a couple of weeks sat, with just a couple of v. short journeys, I went to start it today but nothing.

I tried to jump it using the missus' car but still no joy.

I brought it in to charge and measured less than 3 volts across the termnals.

Surely this is kaput??

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.
<Sorry image not available after migration>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10118

The way to test your battery is to charge it, then test it again before you put it on the car to save wasting time. If it gives 12-13.5 volts it's within spec. Put it on the car and test it with the engine running
across the terminals with a good digital meter, it should read up to 14volts, if not it can't take a charge and therefore can't hold one. If it measures ok then I suspect it was a little down before you put it away for two weeks or a courtesy light or somehing else was switched on. A simple immobiliser can drag a battery down in about four weeks , three if you have other stuff like alarms etc. running. Solution is to get a battery cut out device fitted to the battery, it is a cheap simple easily fitted circular knob that isolates the battery . Doubles as an extra security device to.
I don't know what the recommended battery is for your year of car but if it is a Bosche 'Silver' like my SC they are about £40.00 at Euro Car Parts and can't be beaten except by dry cell batteries like the much more expensive Optima.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10124

Bosch "Silver" is the way to go. Got one for my dad last year for his '90 C4 after doing a bit of research. The 964 needs plenty of juice (especially with aftermarket alarms, mobile phone kits etc) and many batteries just don't have the necessary punch, i.e. 74+ AH

Sometimes the appearance of dash warning lights can be due to a low rated battery - that's what happened in my dad's case. Think (?) it was the diff warning. Changed the battery, all lights gone. Starts on the first turn every time.

Think it cost close to £70 inc vat - (EuroParts) bit of a premium but since you can't go far without it, well worth it. It's supposed to be good for cars that sit idle for long periods between outings too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10132

I just my battery go flat -- odd since it's not been THAT cold and the car's kept in a garage but maybe the battery's on its way out. Whatever, on swapping in a spare temporaily just to check that nothing else was the problem, I couldn't stop the alarm going off. It's a Porsche standard fitted immobiliser. The obvious thing like slotting my immobiliser widget into the slot on the dashboard had no effect.

Anyone have a clue as to how to switch off the alarm?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11785

Why don't you guys just buy a battery optimiser? Cost about £40 thereafter flat batteries are an annoyance of the past.

I have one and never had a problem. Seems to keep battery in better condition than just charging via the alternator or using a battery charger. When I put the car in the garage I plug in the optimiser and forget about it. Don't forget to disconnect before you drive out though!!

I am sure there have been a number of threads on this point before but I can't remember the thread heading.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11789

Perhaps some people don't have mains power in their garage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11790

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by bones on 14 December 2003

Exactly so.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11792

Can someone recommend a specific battery optimiser/trickle charger suitable for a 993, and where I could buy it?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11797

I would also be interested to hear of any recommations to the above.

Abdul.

I also have a '97 C2S in Silver/Black. Only just got it so am a still a little excitable. Have you made any intersting mods to yours?

Jonathan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11798

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by manek on 15 December 2003

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by bones on 14 December 2003

Exactly so.
Have a look at the attached. Its a solar powered charger - No need for mains power. If however, you park in a garage with no light etc etc, then either mount the solar panel on the garage roof or move house or sell the car.

:)

As usual, Its not my product/website/etc etc

http://cnb-host4.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/britishecoshoppingsite?listPos=&op=catalogue-products-null&prodCategoryID=2

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11800

Sorry for thinking that everyone would have a garage with a power supply. Very remiss of me.

Anyway for those who do have a garage with power supply. I bought an Optimate. It is made in Belgium but can be obtained easily from many sources here in UK, or found on the web. The cost was about £45, but I also bought an extension lead and a mounting block so that I could mount the charger on the garage wall.

I connected a supplied lead permanently to the battery. This lead has a plug to which you can connect the charging lead from the Optimiser. It easy to check which way round it goes from the polarity point of view, as there is a special locking tag.

However the battery connecting leads need some modification as the terminals are too small to fit over the battery post clamp. take care to preserve the polarity.

As said before since using this I have never had to worry about a flat battery.The cars starts immediately even after a couple of weeks of none use. I had no problem even after a 4 week holiday. I leave the optimiser on all the time.

Michael

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11805

For best prices on Bosch Silver batteries try CAS or Bennetts motor factors, they'll sell to you at Trade price, should be worth about 20% off normal prices.

Jason Bunyan

993 cab with Bosch Silver

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11807

Just to round up my little saga, I found out why my battery went flat (see msg from 14 Dec). I'd not closed the engine lid properly after I'd checked the oil, and the compartment light stayed on - and flattened the battery. Easily done so watch out for it.

Happy Christmas!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11970

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back