Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering noise

Pap

I've taken the plunge and purchased a 1986 3.2 Carrera! Will post some images soon!

Have noticed a on occasions a bellowing sound which I think is coming from the steering. Depressing the brake even slightly cuts it out but on release it returns. Accelerating also enetually clears it.

Any bright ideas???

Pap

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8472

I would guess you've probably got a brake pad holding on (likely if car has stood for a while) or a wheel bearing is on its way out. If you've been driving for a while with the noise, stop and feel if there is more heat coming off any one brake disc than the others, this would indicate a sticking pad - remedy is to get the caliper rebuilt with new seals / pistons etc. A worthwhile job, certainly for peace of mind.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8474

Pap

I would second the above - I had very similar symptoms which caused the steering wheel to vibrate slighly at very slow speed. The front discs were worn too thin and had begun to warp because of breaking heat.

New pads and discs not too expensive, and not a bad idea with a new purchase anyway as it will give you the opportunity to renew the fluid for extra peace of mind with the rainy season coming!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8483

If you rebuild the offending caliper make sure you do the other side at the same time. A lot of people will tell you to buy replacement calipers , but if you are handy with tools and have a garage you can do it yourself. Email me if you want some help. If you are chamging the disks have a look at drilled ones they really add to the Porsche's looks and are as good as stock.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8491

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back