Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Disappointed 996 targa owner

Gilles

I have been the first owner of a Porsche 911 targa since 18 May 2003 and I have to say that I have not been impressed by either the car or the company.

I placed my order on 22 Feb., asked for factory delivery and was given a collection date of mid-April. On 7 April the factory told the dealer that the guided tour was not going to be possible because of the Easter holidays. Ridiculously late notice (I had made travel/holidays plans etc.) and ridiculous to assume that I was prepared to pay £500 to go to Stuttgart without being able to have a guided tour of the factory.

After more confusion between the dealer and the factory, the car finally arrived on 18 May.

Having lived with the car for two months, these are my thoughts:

Pro: a sensational engine with a unique sound, excellent handling, gearchange and steering, quick and accurate sat nav

Cons: the targa roof is little more than an over-priced gimmick: it does not give anything like the open-top experience of a cabrio, the roof rattles already and its weight blunts the performance.

The BOSE hifi and Sports Exhaust options are simply not worth the outlay. There is no automatic headlight option (available on 3 series 2 years ago) and no tyre pressure monitor.

The fit, finish and interior architecture are not a patch on my previous car, a humble Audi TT. In fact, although the car handles like a dream it does not have the rawness that I was hoping for in a "supercar". A sop to the American market no doubt.

Finally to reliability: the brake hydraulics failed completely this week and I've had to leave my 2 month old car at the dealer. I've owned BMWs and Audis and have never had a single problem. I would be interested to hear from other owners if I've simply been unlucky.

My conclusion is that Porsche is resting heavily on its laurels. Perhaps I bought into the myth of heritage, flat-six (blah) without taking a long, hard look at the product. Perhaps Porsche has sold so many 911s because others have too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6747

That is a shame, the factory collection is apparently a great experience and porsche should've given you more notice. Did you push porsche uk into a full refund? Did you get the targa because of the available discounts? Porsches are generally very reliable, it seems you have been unlucky, but it won't make you feel any better. Perhaps you should test drive a C2, and see how that compares?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6748

I think you have been very unlucky but you make some interesting points.

Firstly it sounds like a 993 coupe or earlier would be more your type of Porsche.

Secondly it sounds like a Merc SL is more your sort of car.

As for reliability and service, you have been badly let down..so go kick some OPC ass.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6754

Thanks for your responses.

I have been refunded the Factory option cost but it was the inconvenience caused and the generally casual attitude of the factory that was most galling.

I got a discount of 6 per cent. I have only subsequently discovered that targas benefit from additional discounts. I think they saw me coming (first-time Porsche buyer).

I agree re the 993 but I'm afraid I'm now disenchanted with Porsche. The SL is too much of a tourer for my liking so I think an M3 cabrio is top of my list.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6759

Only problem with an M3 is that you have to start selling drugs to fit in with the image !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6763

Or cutting hair !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6766

Or practising with wrist-strengthening exercises... :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6769

Don't know what you're talking about Manek :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6772

everyone is keen on mentioning the images of other cars in this forum (eg BM or Merc) but few people mention the image of porsches, often called the meno-porsche 'cos they're bought by men of a certain age....

or the wide-boy city types that epitomised the 80's allways seemed to drive the marque. still at least its not a ferrari (Magnum, enough said!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6773

I guess we all realise that no matter how hard we/Porsche try, they do still have a bad reputation. I suppose we all accept it and just get on with enjoying the driving experience, otherwise we wouldn't own one ! Surely though as a City stockbroker, living in Kensington, driving a late '80's 911 I'm doing my bit to dispell the myth :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6775

Bad service sucks wherever it is encountered Gilles . All I can say is it may be down to the individual dealer too , but I don't know the full story. It sounds to me that you may have been better suited with a carefully picked pre-owned car of a more raw nature , perhaps buying a vehicle from Ruf or Techart , I have never thought of a 996 as a supercar and that's perhaps where part of your problem lies . Maybe a 993 Targa with a supercharger would have been more to your liking and if you really want 'open top' motoring try 964 backwards . I can't believe that you or anyone would rely on a tyre pressure sensor , for peace of mind use the air compressor supplied (if they still supply them , if not buy one from Halfords for £15.00) and with your Porsche tyre gauge check the pressures when you go out for a spin , it's part of being safe and getting the most from your Porsche fantastic handling. (hope that sounded like advice and not a lecture)
The fact that your brakes failed is unnacceptable I would get my soliscitor involved at that point . However don't be put of Porsche there is plenty to be had from Porsche ownership that is simply not there in other cars .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6778

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back