Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warm air-con

manek

Montreal
So there I was, blatting up the M23 today in my 993, windows and sunroof open. Thought I'd see if the air-con could defeat the heat and, much to my surprise, it couldn't. In spite of being recharged just before I bought it a couple of months ago, the system just gave me tepid-ish air at the best. Not good enough, so the windows came open again.

I know it's a tough ask, given the 30 degree heat, but is this as good as it gets?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6172

I think you can generally assume that air con in any pre-996 car is pretty crap, although I understand it is meant to be better in 993's (and 964's to some extent).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6175

Manek - same here. I seem to remember though on my first 993, the aircon was superb, so I might try getting it recharged.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6177

- we should think ourselves lucky though - my X has aircon fitted which has no effect even on a slightly warm day!!! Owners refer to it as conair.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6178

The aircon should be cold, you nay have a leak somewhere, my old 964 did and I had to replace everything. It then worked well, but cost me £1200. I then sold the car, doh!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6193

Aircon on my 3.2 is actually pretty good now, following a recharge, so it sounds like you might have a problem of some description Manek. (Although if the car is already hot from standing in the sun then it does take quite a while for the aircon to cool things down to an acceptable level - it it worth the perseverence though !)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6196

I wondered if hot components might make it struggle but after 20 minutes I still wasn't getting cold air. If, as you say, Phil, the 993 aircon should work even in 30 degree temps, I'll call those nice people at Autobahn and see what they reckon they can do. After all it's still under warranty...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6198

Hi Manek

I know from my experience in Aus that the dealers over there all offer the recharge facility for aircon as obviously, Aus has more needed for decent air con. I do know that the dealer I used recommended a place owned by a mate of mine. He told me one of the things he did on every 993 was to reposition a sensor. He didn't say much, but it would appear that somewhere a sensor can be repositioned enabling colder air to be fed from the air con unit - a simple fix but I noticed the difference. However, all these guys said that 993 a/c is not great, and as Melbourne often got up to 35-40 degrees, it was used frequently. This doesn't help you much but next time I'm in Aus I will try and find out where this sensor is and what they do...

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6335

I'll chase that up -- thanks Andy!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6366

Today it wasn't even that warm but the air was barely below outside temp. and since Keith at Addspeed reckons I should be getting cold air even in hot weather, the car gets picked up by him on Thursday for an aircon system overhaul -- all under warranty AFAIAC. Maybe there's a leak...

Ho-hum. So much for 'trouble-free' Porsches. :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6628

Update 1

Got my car back -- Addspeed have put some dye in the recharged system so they can see where the leak is, and it goes back in next week to actually check it.

Top marks to them for collecting and delivering the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6768

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back