Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Child Seats

I had the same issues as Freddie a while ago with the Porsche car seat when my eldest was 2 (in 1999), it doesn't look all that substantial and the lack of shoulder straps were a concern, however at the time I did some research and found a review including the Porsche child seat and it came out in the top few amonst the usual competition. I can't say I ever tested it in an accident (thankfully) but it was comfortable for my daughter until she grew out of it and I would find it hard to beleive that a company such as Porsche would risk putting it's name on any child safety product that wasn't up to par.

As for the air bag disconnect this is an additional piece of hardware that bolts under the passenger seat and connects to the existing wiring loom (986 & 996 only I believe). It has to be programed into the ECU after installation and is then activated by plugging the seat buckle in. To confirm it is working the air bag flashes five times ( I think) when you turn the engine on.

The porsche child seat is also compatible with all front seats including the GT3 believe it or not.

Paul D 2004 GT3

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15062

Paul

Do you know where you found that review on car seats with Porsche Prince coming out on top? Going to OPC tomorrow to have a look at one - just not convinced it can be as good as a seat with harness.

A seat that does fit is the Britax Rennaissance. Had one fitted by Halfords the other day, although it does take up a lot of space...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15545

Richard,

Thanks - I was actually at OPC this morning. Decided against the Porsche Prince. Looks fine for 'older' babies, but our son is only just at 9 months & it just didn't look comfortable.

Ended up going for a Britax 'Trio' - depending on promo's etc. £120 at Halfords. A bit more expensive than the Prince, but definately looks a lot safer/better - especially as it has a harness for the baby.

The guy at Halfords fitted & tested it -> gave it the seal of approval.

Cheers,

Scott

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15588

Sorry if it's a bit long and boring but after a lot of searching around on the web for the info I wanted and not coming up with much I'd just like to share my experience in making my 996 a bit more family friendly.

I've recently bought a 996 C2 and probably let my heart rule my head a bit because I needed a car for us all to go out in at the weekend but also to use for the daily drive to work and be able to pick-up my 16 month old son from nursery 3 days a week.

I bought the car from an OPC and originally got them to throw in the latest Porsche child seat (the similar Prince is no longer available) as part of the deal but when we tried the little one in the seat he really didn't like the big bolster that goes across the front which is part of the Porsche design.

After trying loads of different seats I was really struggling to find one that fitted. The problem is the buckle is so far forward compared to other cars it stops most seats being pulled in tight. I finally found the Mamas & Papas Pro-Tec

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/996_M&P_Protec(1).jpg

http://www.mamasandpapas.co.uk/travel/car_seats/pro_tec_detail.htm

This seat works differently to most, in that the waist belt goes round the front below child’s feet and the chest strap goes over the top. This works really well in the 996 and holds the seat in very firmly.

Next problem was finding a pram to fit. First try was a little buggy that dropped in behind the rear seats but this proved to be a real pain. Finally came across the Quinny Zapp which drops in the luggage compartment a treat.

http://www.quinny.com/zapp/en.html

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/996C2_Quinny_Zapp.jpg

So don’t let any one tell you, you can’t have 911 AND a family

Your first day out was Walton Hall for the annual TIPEC show

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/996_at_Walton_Hall.jpg

Andy W

------996 C2 Manual

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32347

Full marks for research and perseverence! All enjoy the 996 experience... :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32358

Good work Andy.

I've got a Bambino due in December(!), so i've just printed all that out for future reference :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32367

You may want to check out if the same seat works in the back of the 993... the width and depth available is much less in the 993 as compared to the 996.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32369

Oh. I thought they were about the same (i.e. useless...)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32370

Great work... thank you for posting your findings.

I'm sure there are many people placed with the unenviable task of placing the "baby forces sale" ad for their beloved porker who will be delighted to read this.

After some early teething troubles, my 2 1/2 year old loves coming out for drives in my 993 with me.

In fact, I might just suggest a little family outing in the 993 to feed the ducks this afternoon!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32371

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robert Bill on 14 August 2005

I'm sure there are many people placed with the unenviable task of placing the "baby forces sale" ad for their beloved porker...
Wrong way round, Robert. It's 'Car forces sale... etc'.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32376

lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32385

When I suss this upload out I'll post pics of my Wheelchair happily sat in the back of my 996!!

Whennnnnnnnnnnn!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :? :oops: :( :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32572

Hi Folks, we have two new additions to the family

BABY 1 Scott who weighed in last week at 7lb 12

and BABY 2 993c2 cab

The problem is i need a rear facing car seat that fits in the back of my 993 so i can introduce the wee fellow to Porsche ownership, forward facing is out as he is to small at the mo, and rear facing in the front is out as the mrs does not fancy squashed in the rear and it means deactivating the air bag etc, and if she cant get out for a drive with us i can see the future conversations along the lines of " get that bloody car sold :evil:
" are there any child seats that i can REAR face and fit in the rear of my 993 on the market, someone must have faced this problem in the past so please help.

regards Walt 993c2 cab

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46284

I think the problem is not getting the seat to fit but getting the seatbelt long enough to go round the seat. You'll almost certainly have to change the seat belt to a longer one. You can do it yourself quite easily. The passenger seat will have to be push all the way forward so the Mrs will be squashed anyway. We just waited till the little one was big enough to sit on a forward facing one, then it's much easier. You'll still need the longer seatbelt though. The Prosche Prince for 993 with the narrow base (I don't think they sell them any more, so try e-bay etc) fits quite well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46293

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back