Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help!

pbrane

Hi all,

i have been looking for a 911 Carrera 4 3.6 (1989-1991)for some time now. im finding it hard to get hold of what im looking for. i dont mind if its LHD or RHD. im being very fussy though, i have been wanting this car for a really long time and its condition has to be PERFECT. looking for about 60-80k on the clock and all original paper work FSH(someone who really had the money to look after it). i have seen a couple but nothing to make me melt at the sight of it. just wondered if i am expecting to much or what. most have had 3+ owners and they seem to lose the TLC with the latter owners. anyone know where i can go find one? is it worth going to germany? most that i have seen have been between 11k and 14k.

Please Help.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2588

Are you a member of the PCGB?

The best looked after cars will almost certainly be with club members and there are a couple for sale in this month's Porsch Post at that price, although most are in the £17K range.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2589

There's a very interesting article in this month's GT Purely Porsche about buying 964s. Even if it's mint when bought, you better put some fairly serious cash aside for problems. I started out looking at 964s but ended up buying a 993 because I think it'll cost me less in the long run.

Have a look at the mag.

What's your budget by the way?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2598

thanks for the replies

im looking to spend 14k tops.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2599

Your in cheap-ish territory even for a lhd - if you want a really good 964 with low-ish mileage you are going to be paying £16-20 K. Your 14K will not buy you a very good 964 (unless you are very lucky) but it will buy you a very good 3.2 with similar mileage, particularly if you look at lhd. I would echo what others have said here - beware a cheap 964 !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2601

"beware a cheap 964 !"

In that case I will buy a cheap one, put the price up a couple of grand, readvertise and bingo....a quality 964. :)

I am thinking of a 964 myself now. With all the talk of high servicing costs it's got to be a good bet if you can do the service work yourself.

What I am referring to here is the need to partially drop the engine to change the plugs and do the tappets as the exhaust system covers everyhing up and makes access really difficult. Also there are well known problems with the dual mass flyheel (if it is still fitted) and the distributor drive belt.

The car over on Pistonheads seems to have had a load of work done recently, so it's probably worth a look.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2602

Nick,

Point taken - but smart-arse anyway !!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2604

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back