Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 engine problem

Carrera man

Hi,

I got a Carrera 2 (964) and got a small problem.

The engine stalls easily when the engine is cold, (and sometimes when the engine is warm). This problem disappears when the engine is warm.

The rpm goes up and down when (600 to 1200 and back)) and then the engine stalls. This appears when I try to reverse out of the garage, and it goes on and on…annoying and embarrassing when all the neighbours are watching.

I have some ideas…but not really sure what to do

-Reinstall the cat and the lambda probe (currently using by a bypass pipe)

-Check the distribution belt

Have anybody seen this problem before? If so, what should I do to get rid of this problem?

Regards,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2005

Just a thought that may be of help, this months or last months Car Mechanics magazine had a feature on the 964 fuel and ignition system, it may be worth a look. If you cant lay your hands on it, let me know and I will try to scan it in for you and email it.

Gregsy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2011

Have you tried resetting the "brain". i think the owers's manual describes how. Strike the nice and easy checks off the list first!

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2012

My 964 does the same, its booked into JZ Machtech next week for pads and a 12k service, I'll ask Jonas about it then.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2021

chaps

my last car was a lancia integrale which used to do exactly the same, turned out it was a faulty temerature sensor which was giving the brain readings of being hot and cold intermitantly, this was causing the cold start mechanism to kick in and out all the time.

not sure how they work on the porsche but it may be worth having a check, i can't imagine them being an expensive part, the lancia one was about £15

regards

steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2032

How do you reset the "brain"?

Disconnect the battery for more than 5 min?

Is there a way to check if there are any "error messages" stored in the brain

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2035

My car also has the same problem - which seemed to come after the alarm was cut off after a service at a porsche garage!

I'd be interested to try this reset, let me know if it works!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2271

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back