Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car parts 911 SC

Burnsa

I have a 21 year old SC911 which needs some work doing on the two front wings around each headlamp.

Is is better to replace completely or is it a reasonable work job for a body panel expert - the damage is from bubbling of previous work and I think it is starting to get worse? Cosmetic, but the car is gorgeous otherwise!

Thanks

AB

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1964

It's probably worth looking for a couple of used wings, which you can pick up for about £300 a pair. New ones are about £1000. Just be prepared to find more problems when the wings are removed, especially along the tops of the inner wings, the front bumper mountings and the rear wing mounting plates

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1971

AB

If you patch a panel its more vulnerable to rust, so I would have to agree with nick look out for a couple of good wings, there will be less labour and more peace of mind. The bumper mounts are always one of the first areas to go, well it certainly was the case on my SC. I got repair panels from roger bray restorations, fingers crossed yours are ok.

Gregsy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1976

Ditto what Nick Moss says - Be prepared for some serious cleaning, de-rusting and possible plating. Then make sure that you give everything underwing a good protective finish (zinc based paints, plasticoat, two pack top coat).

Excellent second hand wings go for about £500. I have used C2/4 wings on my '76 car. You need to remove the PU mounting bracket at the front, possibly fill the indicator holes, then check all other mounting holes since there is some variation.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2249

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back