Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 911 Targa

Adrian Peak

I have just purchased my first ever Porsche. A beautiful red 911 Targa 3.2 1986. The engine and bodywork is immaculate but there are a few electrical gremlins. The first is the windscreen wipers do not turn off, unless I keep pressure on the stalk.
The second is the clock does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to replace the wiper switch or remove the clock?
Any help much appreciated.

Thanks Adrian

postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1859

Congratulations!

I've got an '85 green 3.2 Targa.

The wiper switch is quite expensive to replace, so it's probably worth trying to look at the existing one in-situ. Maybe a contact is bent and it can be straightened.

All of the instruments are just held in place by a rubber seal i.e. they can be prised out (carefully to avoid damaging the plastic). From memory loads of clocks fail and it's not easy to find replacements. However, if you're lucky, a connection will have come off and this will be obvious when you pull the clock out. Would be worth checking that power gets to the connection too.

Have fun.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1860

Well done on your new arrival. I had a 87 targa but 6 days in I was messing with the roof in the garage and forgot to click it back down ... well you know how 964/993 spoilers come up at 50mph well a targa comes off at 35mph fortunately cleared the car and only sustained slight graze! Just a useful tip for when the spring weather arrives

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1865

Hi Adrian

Philly is spot on. You might have to give up on the clock and hopefully you can fix the switch to the wipers whithout dismantling the switch gear.

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1901

Thank you for the advice.

I have been searching around and the technical papers at Pelican Parts look very good. They have diagrams on removal of gauges and even the repair of clocks!

Rgds

postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1982

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back