Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 performance

maximus

I have just had a PPI done on a 1998 993 C4S by an OPC.

They found that the power delivery felt sluggish, and suggested new spark plugs.

The vendor has had the OPC replace these, and the OPC srill says performance is poor. They now say that the valve timings most probably need changing.

What does this mean? Is this a common problem? Should this be a car to avoid buying (It has 41000miles on the clock)? Is the solution simple or indicative of a longer term problem?

The PPI also revealed that front floor pan drain tubes and the front spoiler strip are missing. What are these and is this common or serious?

Thanks for all advice given.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1726

Is this the same car that you were looking at the other day "1998 "R" 993 C4S, 41000miles, 4 owners for £32500."?

If so there are too many warning signs to me that all is not right with the car.

If you are still set on it, get all the problems sorted by the seller, within the asking price

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1742

Just my 2p's worth -

If you have a bad vibe about a car this will stay with you once you've bought it. Always wondering whether something major will go wrong.

As has been said before, there's still lots of good cars out there so you can afford to pass on something that's not quite right.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1753

You guys are right. I am just getting tempted by the first 911 I have seen.

Its just that the vendor seems genuinely unaware of these problems and is getting them rectified at OPC - and I know nothing about cars.

I am definitely giving this car a miss. Thanks for your concern and advice.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1788

Thanks Nick and Philly.

I listened to your warning bells, and made the child in me wait for the "right" car.

This weeks Sunday Times had my dream car advertised. I viewed it on Sunday and took it home on Monday.

I know I should have had a PPI done, but the car was immaculate, the 62 year old vendor was impeccable and the only owner from new and a member of Porsche Gb club. He had meticulously looked after the car (kept it in a dehumidified garage etc) , the car has a full main dealer history, including recent major service with new clutch and tyres and was a genuine sale.

I am now the proud owner of a top quality, showroom condition 993 C4.

I am glad you guys advised me not to get too excited over the first car I saw.

After driving a few 993's, I was also able to get a feel for what I was looking for and what differentiates a good example from a bad one.

You were right that are a lot of cars out there. So my advice to everyone is keep looking until you are perfecly happy with everything about the car before you spend your hard earned cash (and get a PPI done, unless the history is immaculate and you know the car has been spectaularly well looked after).

Ps. Before you all shout at me for not getting a PPI done, note that I paid £2000 less than dealer prices, and am prepared to spend the difference on the car if needed, because the condition of this car and low mileage (38000mls) is fantastic!

Thanks, once again

Max

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2258

Great news, well done.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2259

Sounds like a good find. Nice one.

Pics?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2261

pictures...we need pictures....!

seriously , well done sir, I wish you many a happy hour behind the wheel.

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2268

Sometimes,,,,you just know when it's right !! Sounds like you had the good fortune to happen upon a legit & genuine enthusiast... Please , get some pics on the forum . Enjoy .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2269

Call me computer illiterate, but I can't figure how to upload my car images from my hard drive. How do you do it? Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2445

There is no way to upload images at the moment. Send them to
[email protected]
with a note and he will put them up for you

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2448

Well done Maximus - lookin forward to the pics

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2449

...I'm waiting :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2462

Forum statistics

Threads
Members