Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 sc 180 against 204 bhp

cejsmith

While look around of my new 911, i've come across lots of SC's , can you actually tell the difference between power in driving?

Also can you upgrade one to the other?

Thanks

colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1441

Colin

From memory. the 180 bhp SC runs lower compression than the 204. Also, the 180bhp has an air compressor that pumps air into the exhaust to help burn off unburnt fuel (and seems also to simply dilute the exhasut gases). This is easily disconnected and liberates a few bhp. Other than that though you cannot easily convert from one to the other.

As to whether you can feel the difference, I am not sure - I have driven only a 204 version. To be honest, even that one didn't feel that fast so I would be loathe, personnally, to go for even less bhp.

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1443

Best performance gains you can make to any post '77 911 is to free up the exhuast and lighten the whole car . Replace the impact bumpers , bonnet and engine lid with grp or fibreglass and fit early heat exchangers and a tested sports exhaust . Apparently another good mod for the SC is to fit the engine management system from Milford Systems known as 'K Star' . I'd say a Carrera 3.2 might be a better buy if your budget is big enough and you don't like 'tinkering' or even a 964 , although be extra careful with what you buy there.
If you are considering tuning an SC then the 78/79 model has larger intake valves than later models but as stated lower compression . Good engine mods for SC's are 3.2 barrels and pistons with a higher comp' ratio , 964 cams and the exhaust mods .All this gives a big increase in power . To become really cutting edge you need an even bigger displacement , 3.4/3.5 ltr even higher comp' ratio and twin plug heads . We are talking 290/300bhp by the time you get here and a serious dent in your wallet! . Happy hunting

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1446

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back