Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'89 3.2 front oil cooler question

Nathan

Monza
Anyone have any idea of the temperature needed to open the thermostat to the front oil cooler? I took the old girl out for the first time in a while today (the sun was shining!) and out of curiousity felt the pipes to the front oil cooler after an hour long blast and they were cold. I'm guessing the stat's sticking. Anyone had one of these off? Is it a common problem & can it be freed off or is a new stat required?

Thanks, Nathan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1387

Was the car noticeably running hot ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1389

No the car was up to normal operating temp, just below the white line about 1/3 of the way up the gauge. I think this should have been warm enough to open the stat.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1396

The engine Oil cooler thermostat opens at 80c/176f, and the auxiliary (front) oil cooler thermostat opens at 83c/183f.

Sounds like you were way too cool for it to open. Normal temperatures dont require auxilliary cooling.

Remember the car is built for HIGH performance use in ALL countries.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3906

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back