Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High miles on a 993?

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone had any experiences with higher-mileage 993s, 90K plus? What kind of things are likely to need attention, or is all really just this strange psychology that everything starts going wrong when it reaches 100K? My heart says, hey it's German, amazing build quality, it'll live forever. Help me out guys, I'm on the verge at looking at some cars!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1291

I don't know the answer to this one, but I watched a programme about 2 years ago about Porsche, and they had some Porsche mechanics on who laughed when they said that people were put off high mileage cars - They reckon that they're built to last at least 250,000 miles if looked after properly.

:D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1292

As long as the car has been properly serviced throughout its life, it shouldnt matter what the milage is, I read an article on a concours 912 which had done arould 5-600,000 miles granted it was a four cylinder lump but It just shows that they really do go on forever when looked after properly. I think the 100,000 stigma comes from Vauxhalls and Fords that arnt built to the same high standards and quality of components.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1294

Thanks guys. If 5-600,000 miles is possible then I won't be too worried taking on a 90K example!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1305

Feedback is that it is also worth checking who did the service - not just that it was OPC, but which OPC in particular, since some have better reputations (i.e. Dick Lovett), than others (i.e. another OPC about 40 miles east of Dick Lovetts). I know this should not be the case, and this is all based on comment across a number of BBS, but when you are into 996 territory, you really are looking at the panacea of what is expected of Porsche.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1311

The other thing is to make sure it has had no accident damage. When you pull old 911's apart you realise how well they are build at the factory, and the effect that poor repairs have on corrosion and build quality.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1335

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back