Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a 964...Tipronic or Manual?

decompressing

I've previously been looking at 3.2 Carreras but have decided that I would like something a bit more modern (yes, I know about the leaks/dual-mass flywheel and dual distributer issues).

I tried a C2 manual today. The guy selling it said it had had a new clutch about 600 miles previously (car has 54,000 miles on the clock). The point is, the clutch release felt awful-very heavy (tiresome in the short time we were in town) and wasn't especially smooth when releasing it. I'm sure the 3.2's I've driven had much lighter clutches and much smoother. Is this a charachteristic of 964s or was this one just a bad one?

Also, in view of the above I've been thinking about just going for a tiptronic model anyway (my present BMW has it and I like it in that). How reliable is the tiptronic set-up on a 964? Is it similar to the BMW system that actually varies the shift program depending on your style of driving, or is the Porsche system too early for this?

Any views would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 904

I'm not sure about the 964 but I assume its very similar to the 993. Which certainly does have various shift programs depending on the style which your driving, in the drivers manual the standing 1/4 mile times for manual and tiptronic are 13.2 and 13.8 respectively so for the sake of .6 of a second of performance, if your not a massive trackday fiend and your concerned about constant clutch pumping in town go for the tiptronic.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 919

hmm, not so sure. I've recently sold my tiptronic 964 - just not quite interesting enough. 911s should be a full-involvement experience so why fudge half of it? The tip is NOT instant , you only get four ratios and the slip as you pull away says fat old bloke to anyone who's listening. The clutch may be heavy and in the wrong place but all in all the Fiesta is a better miracle of ergonomics. Do the right thing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1361

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back