Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport or not ?

Jamie Summers

Is there any way of telling whether a '89 3.2 Carrera is a genuine factory Sport model, something obvious like a code in the log book ? Mine is a German LHD so perhaps things were different ? I've got the whaletail but have been unable to establish whether I've got the Billstein shocks (they're not green which I believe Billsteins to be ?), although my car does appear to be lower than most standard 3.2s I've seen (look at the pic on the owner's cars section). Nothing I read over the weekend really gave me any clues.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 472

What if you've got no warranty or service book?!? Any other way of getting this info? Do Porsche have a department that deals with this? (eg Rover has a Heritage Dept for tracing and verifying the history of old BMC stuff)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 483

I haven't noticed an obvious options list in my log book, but then again my German is all but non-existent ! Any idea where to look ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 484

I think some options e.g. paint colour, trim etc are included on the sticker with the VIN. Other than that I think you would need to contact Porsche in Germany. I think each country keeps details of the cars registered in their own countries.

By the way, not all Bilsteins are green. Some are yellow. If you are not sure what make they are you could find the part number on them, phone an OPC and ask them what the part is. They should be able to look it up on their system. The original Sport Bilsteins have a number of:

Front:
R36-5001-SPTRear: B46-0975

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 485

<Sorry image not available after migration>
Hi Jamie!

I found that for your model, the spoiler and the whailetail were an option. And one was always going with the other. If it's a "coupé" of 1989 then your chassis number should be between 91ks10.0001-91ks10.3532.

If I have more I let you know

Cheers

J.P.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 486

Nathan,

Povided your bonnet is original and hasn't been sprayed on the inside there should be a sticker on it (pretty obvious - right in the middle) that matches the one that would have appeared inside the front page of the log book, showing chassis number and other bits and pieces - this also has the option codes on it. The fifth line down should be a series of three figure or letter codes which you can trace using the link on James's post above. I think yours should start C10 which indicates a Swiss model post 1986 with catalyser - mine starts C00 indicating Eurospec emissions model (whatever that might mean - still no wiser on the cat !)

Looking at the options on my car it seems that it is not a Sport model after all but just had the spoilers as an option - the ride is pretty stiff as it is, I'd hate to think what the Bilsteins would do to my spine !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 489

Jamie, thanks but my car's had a full respray (colour change) hence no under bonnet sticker.

Nathan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 499

Nathan,

That's rather annoying - I suppose the only thing to do is to contact Porsche directly as James suggested. Assuming the chassis number plate is still in place on the left hand side of the luggage compartment then you will at least have the chassis number. I'd be extremely surprised if Porsche don't have a record of the build details of your car that they can access via the chassis number.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 501

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back