Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oils

swaite3

i have a 3.2 carrera imported from california and the last owner was using mobil 1.

i was strongly advised against using mobil 1 in my lancia integrale as it is too thin. is it ok for the 3.2 engine. it blows smoke out on start up (which can be normal apparantly). could this be anything to do with the oil?

also the gearbox is a bit stiff and the lever does not return to the middle gate (ie you have to aim it into 3rd from 2nd instead of the spring doing the work). is this normal and which oil should i use?

last one (promise) with it coming from america it uses unleaded. the book says it is fine on 92 ron which is a lot less than our normal unleaded. is there any point putting optimax or super in it?

all questions answered before i guess but being new to this porsche game -

regards

steve waite

Migration info. Legacy thread was 176

Hi Steve and welcome

first of all, what year is your car - after 87 they fitted teh 3.2's with a new gearbox - the G50.

mine is a 1988 G50 car and when cold, my second gear sticks a bit, but being 14 years old, I am not surprised really. I try to be gentle when its cold, but by the time it warms up, it runs fine.

Yes it is normal to smoke when cold, I use Esso 0-40W and it smokes too. To be honest I have not tried Mobil1 but I have heard great things about his oil, and is what I was goign to pour in my next oil change.

The octane ratings are different in the US as in Europe. From a discussion with another crowd, I believe 93US equates to 98Europe. So whatever you do, use 95 or 98, no less - IMHO.

and dont forget - Porsche, there is no substitute..

:)))

take care

Migration info. Legacy thread was 182

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back