Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Level on 991.1 Post Oil Change - Fault?

Wouldn't disagree with the comments that the electronic oil level is a right pain in the ass to get right.

Bring back the humble old-fashioned dipstick. :thumb:

deMort said:
First off let me just say i fix these cars for a living and whilst not at OPC these days i know full well what a pain they can be to get the lvl correct .

2 Litres down .. it won't have affected the engine .

When we drain these then the longer its left draining then the more we will get out .. a short drain of 10 mins will probably only get 6 - 7 ltrs out .

I feel though that 8 liters is a standard charge .. all of us garages have a standard charge .. whether we have 7.5 or 8 on the invoice then it's probably still a set price service charge .. the amount of oil is just a number .

Now then .. these are a total pain to get right and i know exactly what has gone wrong here ..

You have to get the oil temp upto over 90 degrees .. you have to leave the ignition on for over 2 mins to get a live reading .. a road test often does not get a live reading in most cases .. especially at this time of year when its cold and probably a short 2 mile road test as is the OPC way .

The mechanic has not let it get hot enough basically .. in this case it just displays the original oil lvl and not the actual reading after the oil change .

personally i hate this system .. Macans are the worst .. they actually say engine hot and this is the lvl .. it lies .. its not as i found out to my cost .

You have no idea how bad it feels to be told you have done something wrong .. a waiting oil change ,.. customer wanting the car back and what i thought was the correct lvl was the car displaying the old lvl .. 1 ltr down we found out after we had the car back .

made me feel like i was useless ..

Honest answer here as it happens to all of us with this dam stupid system .

Slightly off piste but relevant to the topic.

I run a Ducati V4S as a track bike therefore change the oil very regularly. Due to a multi baffle arrangement inside the sump, getting the oil level right on the sightglass is a right pita. It can take up to 36 hours to settle.

Soooo, what I do nowadays is check level, drop the oil overnight, weigh it and put back same weight of fresh oil (Motul 300). Jobs a good un :thumb: Can't go wrong.... Probably....

OK - so the update is that they are coming to collect it tomorrow afternoon on a covered trailer! They still think it's the sensor, so they're potentially going to replace it.

Oh and they're going to give me a couple of "top up" litre packs and give the car a really good clean, inside and out. Hopefully better than the service wash which I complained could have been better done by a child with a blindfold and an arm behind it's back. :roll:

Oh and on 911 Times story. My first car was an MG Midget and I collected it having just had a service and a whole load of work done on the vehicle. I got about 5 miles down the road to see the temperature gauge fly into the red then drop off the scale. I pulled over immediately and phoned the garage. Turns out that they'd forgotten to refill the engine with coolant. Oh how we laughed! :shooter:

deMort said:
First off let me just say i fix these cars for a living and whilst not at OPC these days i know full well what a pain they can be to get the lvl correct .

2 Litres down .. it won't have affected the engine .

When we drain these then the longer its left draining then the more we will get out .. a short drain of 10 mins will probably only get 6 - 7 ltrs out .

I feel though that 8 liters is a standard charge .. all of us garages have a standard charge .. whether we have 7.5 or 8 on the invoice then it's probably still a set price service charge .. the amount of oil is just a number .

Now then .. these are a total pain to get right and i know exactly what has gone wrong here ..

You have to get the oil temp upto over 90 degrees .. you have to leave the ignition on for over 2 mins to get a live reading .. a road test often does not get a live reading in most cases .. especially at this time of year when its cold and probably a short 2 mile road test as is the OPC way .

The mechanic has not let it get hot enough basically .. in this case it just displays the original oil lvl and not the actual reading after the oil change .

personally i hate this system .. Macans are the worst .. they actually say engine hot and this is the lvl .. it lies .. its not as i found out to my cost .

You have no idea how bad it feels to be told you have done something wrong .. a waiting oil change ,.. customer wanting the car back and what i thought was the correct lvl was the car displaying the old lvl .. 1 ltr down we found out after we had the car back .

made me feel like i was useless ..

Honest answer here as it happens to all of us with this dam stupid system .

deMort! OK so I know of you and your reputation, so I trust what what you're saying to be correct, but then why didn't they do what I'm suggesting and just send me some oil to top it up? And yes it took 7 miles to reach normal operation of 95 degrees on the oil temp.

I would hazard a guess at the blame game culture .. when we admit a mistake these days there seems to be a claim for compensation and as such excuses are made or other components blamed for the fault to safeguard against this .

Technically there could be an argument for a replacement engine although as i said no damage will occur at this level of oil .

I'm in no way pointing a finger here .. merely trying to explain how it seems to work these days and imho .

I'm just a mechanic though .. i'm not an expert , i'm just the same as most other mechanics i feel .. the only difference is i post here .

I expect it will be a sender unit fault that's replaced or a one off and you are asked to monitor it.

deMort said:
I would hazard a guess at the blame game culture .. when we admit a mistake these days there seems to be a claim for compensation and as such excuses are made or other components blamed for the fault to safeguard against this .

Technically there could be an argument for a replacement engine although as i said no damage will occur at this level of oil .

I'm in no way pointing a finger here .. merely trying to explain how it seems to work these days and imho .

I'm just a mechanic though .. i'm not an expert , i'm just the same as most other mechanics i feel .. the only difference is i post here .

I expect it will be a sender unit fault that's replaced or a one off and you are asked to monitor it.

Oh I see. Well if the engine were to go pop - it's under Porsche warranty - but I suspect to "placate me" - even though I've been very nice - the sender / sensor will be replaced and it's all paid for by the warranty!

Another oil filter and X litres of fresh oil will go back in. They'll give the car a proper valet this time and send it back to me all perfect! Total cost to them is a valet and a couple of litres of top up oil in the natty pouches! The warranty company pay for the sender, the car collection, the new oil and filter! Everybody is happy! :)

Mad Mark911:
Glad to hear this issue is finally getting sorted for you!! :thumb:

deMort: It's a great pity that things are no longer handled in an open way. Maybe I'm just old school - if someone makes a mistake, fair enough, just own up and carry the can (of oil - in this case :wink:).

Personally, I wouldn't think of litigation unless something was very seriously wrong AND the other party wasn't doing the right thing by me but maybe nowadays the 'corporate' approach is to simply deny all 'just in case' - rather than being seen to entertain the possibility of error.

Bring back the old days I say :)

911Time - Yes I'm happy. Of course I'll have been without my car for 3 weeks by the time this is all resolved (hopefully back this week); but such is life!

Just to finish this off .... the OPC returned the car with a full tank of fuel, fully valeted inside and out, plus the main problem solved (i.e. Oil level sensor replaced). They also gave me a spare litre of oil and a new crested keyring.

I'm now more inclined to believe it wasn't their issue, but the way that they dealt with it and bent over backwards to resolve the problem has impressed me! Of course you can say that it shouldn't happen at all on vehicle that has only done 15,000 miles ....

As always, it's not having a problem that counts, it's what a business does to resolve it. Pleased to hear they looked after you and sorted things out to your satisfaction. :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back