Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Massive Coolant leak With Fix

deMort

Monaco
Cayenne in with a coolant leak 2012 i believe .. it basically dumped all of its coolant in one go .

Up on a ramp .. pouring out of the n/s of the engine below the high pressure fuel pump.

You cant see this area but with a mirror and by touch we found a coolant pipe disconnected with the metal sleeve it attaches to still in the rubber pipe ..

The sleeve should be attached to the engine !!

A little bit of research later and this seems to be a common fault in the USA but not so here .. well this is the first one we have seen anyways .

There is a modified part which stops this .. unfortunately there is also a common problem with the thermostat housing which has also been modified .

In this case the customer went for an engine drop and replace both parts ..

The cheaper alternative .. and it's a hell of a lot cheaper is to refit the sleeve using JB weld and is done from under the car and by touch or remove the high pressure pump and you have a small amount of vision to the offending part .

If this is done though no garage would give any kind of guarantee that it won't come out again .

The pictures were taken for our website so i had to edit out our name .. i just borrowed the pictures shall we say to post here :D

Attachments

• picture_five_117.jpg
    picture_five_117.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 3,366
  • picture_four_808.jpg
    picture_four_808.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 3,366
  • picture_three_860.jpg
    picture_three_860.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 3,366
  • picture_two_183.jpg
    picture_two_183.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 3,366
  • picture_one_206.jpg
    picture_one_206.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 3,366
Hi deMort.

Does this potential problem affect all engines in the 958 range?

Immense job Iain, slightly beyond axles stands on the driveway :D

Out of interest how long does it take to drop that engine from a Cayenne?

I believe 2013 and it was the modified type but im unsure , if you can see the pipes on the thermostat housing then you can see if its bolted in place as per the images above .

Similar to the rear pipe that let go on this one .. its a case of a mirror on a stick to see which type is fitted .

This is the first of these we have seen hence i'm not sure when they were modified from the factory from new ... USA forums and they mention it a bit so more common there im guessing .

It's not a pleasant job .. the weight distribution means when the engine / box is dropped the car tries to roll backwards and off of the ramp .. hence the large stand at the rear.

I've not dropped one of these since opc days ( this wasn't my job to do ) and it scared the crap out of me as the car rocked backwards when i undid the last engine bolt and it was no longer attached to the car .

Removal time .. im guessing around the 4 hour mark .. a bit longer to refit as with everything ... quicker to remove than refit is the norm .

Certainly not a job on axle stands lol .

As always when i see something new i post it here along with possible options .

BTW .. right click on any image and open in a new tab with chrome .. you will get a far larger picture .. much more impressive i feel !

Attachments

• picture_seven_182.jpg
    picture_seven_182.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 3,230
  • picture_six_982.jpg
    picture_six_982.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 3,230

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member