Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Both trunks a bit damp living outside in all this rain...

madalaa said:
Thanks Iian ...... I am now resident on the I.O.W. so not an easy option but if I am ever in the neighbourhood ....... :) :thumb:

Aghh i see now .. okies .. forum answers it it is :D

The return of Marty Wild said:
I have considered losing the boot carpets, but then, I figure they weigh ***** all. May lose the back one, they're is a touch of mould in both boots at the moment annoyingly.

Might try and get some custom carpeting for the engine surrounds, that way saving weight and releasing sound.

Rear demister is a proper bummer in its current state. Can't reverse the car off the bloody drive without major missions.

Carpets inside the car are pretty heavy .. worth removing .

demister and i need to investigate im afraid .

As deMort says, the weather has been VERY wet for the last few months, I have had wet windscreens on the inside of all of my cars including my Daily Merc, which is a first for me after about 10 of them over the years :nooo:

Managed to cycle to work for 3 months between end of June and end September without getting wet once. 3m commuting in the dry, was definitely a record.

Then end of September landed and it's basically rained ever since.

Iain, I thought the boot carpets was pretty thin and therefore couldn't weigh too much?! Wonder about what if, just by thousand to one chance I had to sell her, new owner might expect carpeting?! Haha

Are there any products I can use to clean up the mould with a view of it not coming back?!

Guess I could try storing them. Will check the cabin today to make sure I have no leak ingress.

Updates:

Front boot is pretty good actually, not really damp at all. Carpet seems fine, baby seat that was in there had a touch of mould on it though so I've brought that inside.

Rear boot, really not great, getting worse all the time. Don't know if I should put out all the carpets now. Storage would be an issue at my pokey new build house. Especially since we've become three. I wonder if I can leave it now till the Spring then dry it out and give it a clean then?!

Cabin, the main carpets and under the chairs are fine. The door trim
Carpets are wet but then I know the membranes are shot. The troughs that contain the rear drain holes both had around a cm of water pooled each side. Bloody good job I found that out as eventually maybe the water could have got through into the seating area. This isn't a drain hole blockage though I don't think. The angle the car is at is nose down, I'm figuring some of the water getting into the clamshell area is bypassing the drainage holes and is pooling a bit. Not too badly though if that's all there was given the rain since September.

So turns outs, 20yo convertibles that have a hardtop are not impervious to biblical amounts of rain.

Week has passed.

I bought the brush on a pipe, when I put it in the rear drain hole it goes down a few cm at best. Doesn't feel like there's a pipe/opening under there to drain the water, is that correct?

Are the front drain holes under the battery base trim or do I need to take a hex screwdriver and undo the side trims either side of the upper battery trim? They were way easier to access on the Cayman.

The side pods around the drain hole was full of water down by the seatbelts again. It appears the water is getting in at the very front of the clamshell/hardtop any bypassing the drain. So will now be a weekly job to empty the troughs of water. Is this due to where the water ingress is happening or to do with the car blueing a touch front down?

The silica crystal box in the boot has done a very good job, looks all dried out and the mould hasn't got any worse.

It sounds like the main rear drain has blocked .. you need to stick an airline down it .. tyre pressure gauge at a fuel station perhaps .

There is a second drain in the far corner of the clam shell .. this is also probably blocked and is where the water is actually getting into the rear drain when the hardtop stops water getting in via the sides of the soft top .

It's possible if you have it nose down when parked that its a normal amount of water getting in but as the main drain is blocked it cant drain away.

front drains are in the same place as your Cayman .. you have to undo the torx screws and remove the panels unlike the Cayman where you could just lift them out .

So access is extremely limited with the hardtop in place. I can see on each side a hole in the foam stuff say 10-15cm behind the seatbelts/roll cage. When I put the brush down these it didn't go anywhere, unlike what happened on the front ones on the Cayman. So am I missing a trick here? Are these drain holes and where are the other ones?

When I felt around the puddle yesterday, it looked as if the water was entering the troughs where the water is pooling. So right under the arms that fasten the hardtop to the car.

I'll remove the front trims then, cheers, Buddy.

Said hole is partially obscured in this pic but I have presumed these to be the drain holes?

Attachments

• 6897aee4_dc4d_4fbd_bd17_2c61db50fea6_200.png
    6897aee4_dc4d_4fbd_bd17_2c61db50fea6_200.png
    347 KB · Views: 4,100
Just answered via pm but yes the hole in that tub is the main drain and technically any over flow from the clamshell area should run into this area and be drained away .

Blow out the clamshell drain though but i suspect it might be the angle you are parking it at .

Next time I start her I want to go and get new boots fitted, it's all ballache, cheers though, Iain.

I am 100% sure the water is entering downhill of the drain.

Turns out the rear boot was damp as the seal has gone on the near side rear light cluster.

For the record. In case anyone ever comes looking.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back