Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo purchase

Lukec4s

Silverstone
Hi everyone

I currently drive a 996 c4s but I am thinking of trading up to a 997 turbo, ideally manual.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Ideal features / spec etc ..

Thanks

There's a lovely manual silver Aerokit car recently added to RPM Technik's website. But then I would say that as it's mine (any questions feel free to contact me or the guy's at RPM) :D

To answer your question though, if I were to purchase again, I would seek a a manual with PCCBs and buckets. I still love the Aerokit as it looks very purposeful and is quite rare. Colour is subjective.

I wouldn't get strung up on mileage, definitely go on condition and from a reputable dealer or with a Pre purchase inspection.

Haha I did look at that actually, very nice car and a well know dealer but I'm after a black one.

Not to worried on millage up to say 70k.

I have seen some have had the 997.2 updated rear lights etc which I like the look of, not sure if this causes unseen issues?

Black ones look great, you can't go wrong. If done properly (i.e genuine lights), I agree the Gen 2 rear (bumper and lights) looks superb - really help modernise the rear.

Otherwise, I'll guess the other things people look for are the sportschrono, sports seats, extended leather and I believe PASM was standard.

Lovely cars with brutal speed. After trying a few I found that a manual does help bring about a bit more involvement, albeit the clutch is super light and requires no hard work.

Best of luck with the search!

Sid85 said:
There's a lovely manual silver Aerokit car recently added to RPM Technik's website. But then I would say that as it's mine (any questions feel free to contact me or the guy's at RPM) :D

To answer your question though, if I were to purchase again, I would seek a a manual with PCCBs and buckets. I still love the Aerokit as it looks very purposeful and is quite rare. Colour is subjective.

I wouldn't get strung up on mileage, definitely go on condition and from a reputable dealer or with a Pre purchase inspection.

That looks a nice car at a sensible price👍

Gazc2 said:
Sid85 said:

That looks a nice car at a sensible price👍
That does look great value.
With the Aerokit, I would be taking a good long look at that beauty.

Thanks gents. I've kept it well maintained during my ownership and it wants for nothing. Still not 100% I'm making the right decision.

Anyway I don't mean to detract from OP's thread.. so what are your must haves?

Wish list

Gen . 1 (due to budget)
Black
Sports chrono plus
Pasm
Sports seats
Bose

are there any other features that anyone would consider a must ?

With my 996 after many months of searching for
A low miles black manual I found one without the PSE but found a good
Aftermarket system so not too concerned about the exhaust on the 997 as I'm sure there are plenty of aftermarket options.

You seem to have picked the right time to buy as prices are low at present.

Not long ago you'd have had to pay top dollar for a good Gen 1 manual.

Gen 1 exhaust upgrades can be a bit expensive as the system isn't modular, the system is one complete unit as opposed to modular on the gen 2. There are a lot of good systems out there it's just a case of finding which one you like the sound of best. Theres a few threads oh here about upgrades.
On my Gen 2 I put the Sharkerks on and it sounded awesome.
A lot of higher mileage Gen 1's are needing some maintenance work so see if you can find one that's had that work done, otherwise you could be looking at spending a lot on doing things like coolant pipes and water pumps, radiators, coil packs and plugs.
Don't be scared of walking away from cars that seem neglected.

Not long had my 997.1 turbo - loving it.

We're all different with our 'must haves' - go for whatever is on your list. I went from a cab to a coupe so a sunroof was something that gives me a little of the fresh air back! Sports chrono & the turbo over-boost is something to be experienced!

I was at Zuffenhaus in the West Miss last Saturday - they had what looked like a well looked after gen1 turbo, black, black turbo wheels, with 60 something miles on. They had it on the ramps stripped down giving it a major service (prior to that full Porsche history). I think they said it'll be up for mid-40s price wise.

I got the impression Zuffenhaus are very thorough & particular in what they sell.

A lot of car...

Thanks all will take a look at the links. Some sound advice

Can someone tell me the diff between sports chrono and the sports chrono plus

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back