Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

NedHan79 said:
Great stuff. Can you not go with the itb's separately and use an aftermarket Ecu from the likes of motec or link? I think there's cheaper options as well. The main problem with going stand alone brains are that you loose all of the factory things like limp mode and whatever else. I don't think it'd be a major issue to a good mapper though. You don't have boost your worry about blowing it to bits so how bad can it be?

If you used something mega advanced like a Haltech ECU it will probably have more engine protection capabilities than the OEM Porsche Ecu. Ecu technology has come along way since the 996 graced our roads

The standard ECU might well run the ITBs, but it is a compromise between spending a lot of money on getting the standard ECU doibg the job or a quicker and easier tune with an aftermarket one. We intend to try both if possible, the aftermarket choice is the Syvecs S8, I have one ready to go on, it is the same as I run on my turbo. A very capable ECU.

MC

The syvecs gets a very good rating in the subaru world, but then again if you have it in your turbo you'll know what your up against.
I used a Simtek in the p1. Not really for road use but it did the job. My mapper spent ages just trying to get it to idle and then it was out in the road to scale everything. I bought it second hand from a race car. The guy had 2 stages of anti lag mapped in on the side lights and dip beam. That was interesting when we found that out :floor:

I'd be amazed if the stock ECU could run ITB's. How will it know MAF (unless you're feeding the TB's with a big sealed manifold / collector).
Could potentially run with some kind of piggy back but Think it would be much easier just to go standalone - then the capability I'd all there and you'd just need to do the mapping (which presumably you'd have to do on the stock ECU too - can probably carry over the spark map tho to get you going?)

It will be fed from a central plenum, so there is the option to run a MAF if we want to. That is the next part to design.

V2 of the intake manifold has arrived and fits perfectly :)

MC

With a bit of luck the body will be seeing some paint before the end of the week.

MC

MisterCorn said:
..the body will be seeing some paint before the end of the week.
Looking forward to seeing that.. 8)

It finally has some paint on it :)

It needs flattening and buffing, but it's getting there.

MC

I had noticed in many online photos of cars in this colour that they look rather more pink than they should, so much so that I had a sample panel painted to check. I think that this is the colour of the car messing up the automatic white balance in most cameras.

To show you what I mean, top photo was done on an SLR with white balance set for fluorescent lights, bottom one was on my phone in standard point and shoot mode. The colours on the top one are much more accurate.

MC

Wow..

Honestly, I disagreed with your Colour choice earlier, but.. That. Looks. Pretty bloody good.. 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back