Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tracker location / battery drain

Just found my tracker in the same place. I have 3 small wires (1 red 2 black) going back to the cartronic unit where they are spliced in. Can I just cut the 3 fine wires and remove the tracker?

Yes.

I removed my tracker, which was the same as the one in Demort's photo, in the same location. It didn't solve the problem I was working on, but it was helpful to discount it. I traced the wires and cut them and insulated the ends where they were spliced into the original loom.

Now I have found a Tag Guard that seems partially disconnected behind the glove box. Another tracker! Can't see much on google about these.

This one was wired into the back of the fuse box with the GPS under the passenger dash speaker.

Good weight saving, must have removed at least 2kg!

could someone enlighten me as to the contact details of this "tracker" company? annoyingly the company name (if that is the name of the company) is far too generic to be able to search for it on the googles. thanks

just called voda and they said that it wasn't being tracked so it wouldn't be draining my battery. had to explain to them that it has to be on for if i was to take out a monitoring contract... it would just work, there isn't any way for it to be physically turned on so it must be draining battery at least a little bit.

anyway, she then said that they don't have any knowledge of the location of the tracker. after asking a bit more she said she'd go and check.

is that the right place to ask or is there a different company who will have that info?

edit: she couldnt help. suggested to call porsche

edit2: called porsche and they "don't recommend doing that and i should go to an OPC to discuss and diagnose!!"
he went off to check with some technical expert and came back to say that they are not allowed to divulge that information but would be very surprised if the tracker is causing a battery drain.
so i'm at a loss now

The tracker ( Cobra ) system is 16 plus years old by now and i very much doubt anyone is still paying a subscription for such an old and antiquated system !

The tracker has a backup battery , white with a black top , unit is fitted in several different places one of which i have previously mentioned on the 997 post .

To test if its faulty then with an amp meter connected to the cars battery and the car in shut down it should read about 30 milliamps .. ( 200 if on a short test 0.2 )

It will pulse by about 0.6 of an amp roughly every 30 seconds so in essence you will see the meter jump to 0.8/0.9 for 10 seconds then drop back to about 0.2 ..

This indicates a tracker battery is dead .. very few things on these cars cause a pulsed discharge and nothing causes one at this amperage .

The reason .. the battery is normally charged up when the car is running .. as it gets old then like any battery it goes flat pretty quick , the tracker then tries to charge the battery with the engine not running .. hence it pulses .

Obviously as i can say how to test and why it causes a discharge then its safe to assume i've seen this once or twice :)

Thanks again deMort. Do you have any other locations I could try looking for the unit so I can just unplug it? Happy to take it to PM if you didn't want to disclose that info publicly.

Alternatively, would a 'bug detector' device help uncover where it lives? I assume it would still be "on" and at least has a 2G phone signal of some kind, despite not being able to send any of its info to any managed provider like Vodafone/Cobra

Hi

I have the same issue with a 19 year old trackstar tracker. I am darned if I can find it so any other locations would be very useful to me.

Many thanks
Jake

Either buy a tracker detector or call trackstar to see if they have anything on their databases which state where it was installed

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back