Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Silencers, compatability between variants

Hughb

Trainee
Got the opportunity to buy some good condition used silencers (part numbers ....3170/3270) off a C4, 2006 but I have a C2, 2003. (part numbers 3168/3268)...(all non GT/turbo)

Two questions:
Will they fit? I presume so, as all the aftermarket replacements fit all the variants with a single offering.
and
Will they work ok? ... or is it a complete no-no because of different back pressures or things like that?

I fully appreciate that the theoretical answer is no, but when you look at the number of third party suppliers selling 'universal' solutions to the non GT/Turbo model range, there must be some wiggle room.

Anyone actually done this or similar?

I can say the brackets don't fit as the holes are in different places .. if you swapped the brackets over from your old silencers then all you are left with is dimensions .. i would be concerned about the pipe diameter .. if that's the same then technically they would fit .

Get some measurements basically and compare to yours .

Rule of thumb though .. different part numbers mean they ARE different .

I know you can fit boxes from a .2 car to a .1 car as that's exactly what I did when I got hold of the Carnewal boxes for mine.

Can't speak to the specific years you mention, but I'd imagine that things would swap over without issue.

Thanks for comments.

By brackets, deMort, do you mean the two pairs of 'ears' on the silencers themselves...ie that these would have to be removed from the original boxes and welded onto the C4 boxes in place of whats already there? ..a bit fiddly?

Please, deMort, i don't dispute your wisdom one iota, (I am awed at it) but how come the aftermarket suppliers offer 'one size fits all, (C2,C4,C4s) etc' replacements?

I fitted new/unused genuine 3.6 C4S boxes to my 3.4.

I just needed to swap the tailpipes as the widebody c4s has them in different location in the bumper, easy swap.

They are apparently slightly "free-er flowing" than the original 3.4 items.

997 boxes will bolt up just fine too. But you will need to chop / weld your old tailpipe attachment to them are they are different.

Thanks for that wasz ... I was wondering about the tail pipes as well, as i can see they are also a different part number, but was hoping that they were a bumper positioning issue as you confirm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back