Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Big, big 996 turbo quandary

Hmmmmmm, we seem to be stuck on the sensible 'what do I need' trip here!!! The question is (as long as it's not total financial suicide) what do I 'want'! I know nothing of electric vehicles but I understand they're linear quick and obviously incentivised to purchase but do you want one and not want the 911??!! That's the only real question to decide surely!

Shame they don't still make the orignal 2008 style roadster. That was a good looking EV. Everything they make at the moment just looks like a Hyundai or Kia so not very interesting

Apparently they are making a new roadster due to come out this year so that could be worth a look

skinny_monkey said:
Get a Leaf / Zoe (etc) and keep the 996

Although cheaper, they are not that much cheaper - and the Kona EV for example worked out around the same as a Model 3 Long Range

Thanks for the advice people. I will just do it. After two years I will/may hand it back - but I will still have the 996. Probably :thumbs:

Isn't owning a 996 turbo about more than metrics? That's why I'd keep it.

Winny911 said:
Apparently they are making a new roadster due to come out this year so that could be worth a look

Is that the one that apparently does 0-60 in 2.5 secs, 0-100 in 4 secs (and therefore 60-100 in 1.5 secs)? And 2+2 seating? And a 600+ mile range?

Not cheap at £190k but still, wow... :eek:

I don't know if it's just me but I think the Tesla model 3 has challenging looks, I remember seeing the first Tesla S at Schipol airport where they're all used as taxis and thought it was a Jag at first, it did have a good look about it. Now I think they've just designed something to fit a purpose and the looks came second!
Saying that the 12-15 yr old age group think they're 'amazing'! I took a friends 11yr old to meet the bus for the annual school camping trip, took him in the 911 turbo, thinking it would up his cool factor. Got to the car park where they were all milling about, pulled up in the 911 he jumped out and promptly ran over with another 6 of them to drool over a ruddy Tesla S, the 911 didn't even get a mention!
VBH drove one up against a snorty Merc in 5th gear and it was only a second or so behind the Merc, so they certainly have the performance, I just can't imagine the TeslaUK.com group meeting up at the local charging point for a 'blast' up Teesdale to the next nearest charging point!

Well, I did it. I collected the Model 3 Performance yeterday from Heathrow and drove the 60 miles or so home (mostly M25). I was itching to get out today, so did - quick 20 mile jaunt from Bromley to Chiselhurst, down the A20, M25, up via the A21. If you had not read anything of its performance attributes prior to driving it, you honestly would think you were on Candid Camera. It is just nonsensical. No dodgem needs to go that quick. On paper, it has everything in its favour; a sleeper like my old Saabs, steering rack from the Alfa 156 school, performance to rival a much newer 911 turbo, even the slightly light front end to emulate the c2 "porpoise" as it bobs about. I have a back to back trip down to 9e with the 996 turbo and the Tesla onwards to Brighton ahead this weekend so will post some further thoughts when I have a better feel for it. I don't think it will eclipse the 996 turbo but for a car that uses no fuel it does seem like a whole load of fun so far.....

Hi

Wish you well to drive it, and as a tool for the job it certainly makes sense.

But as another forum member posted there is a lot more to it than plain metrics.

I have had a 993 for the last 10 years, and recently bought a 986 as a runaround. Not the best tools for the job, but both give me pleasure in a way that more sensible alternatives don't. At some point if they become too impractical or a PITA then I will have to reconsider. Also I like tinkering with cars, and you don't tinker with a Tesla.

All the best

Berni

berni29 said:
Hi

Wish you well to drive it, and as a tool for the job it certainly makes sense.

But as another forum member posted there is a lot more to it than plain metrics.

I have had a 993 for the last 10 years, and recently bought a 986 as a runaround. Not the best tools for the job, but both give me pleasure in a way that more sensible alternatives don't. At some point if they become too impractical or a PITA then I will have to reconsider. Also I like tinkering with cars, and you don't tinker with a Tesla.

All the best

Berni

Thanks - and I absolutely agree. The 996 turbo isnt going anywhere, dont worry about that!! :)

i have a leaf, 996 and a diesel boat. best combo.

I had the same thoughts About the Tesla model 3 performance, but decided not to get 1 for 3 Reasons.

1. The range for the miles i need are just unworkable

2. Every time you use the perfomance , you then have to start sweating over range

3. It is moose of a looker

So i kept my porsches and got a bmw 530e to save bik ( it has a small fuel tank and electric range) but since it takes 5 min to fill up and i never charge it , it works for me.

The sound of electric motors ,no matter how fast just don't feel or sound the same as flat 6. I have never aspired to own a tesla , but yearned for a porsche

It will be a sad world when its a silent one

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back