Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Big, big 996 turbo quandary

jboy

I bought a 996 turbo last June and am delighted with it.

However, new tax rules w/e from April this year mean that an EV is very cheap (on a true cost basis) for any business owner.

There is barely any difference in cost between the Tesla Model 3 models - and a Performance is affordable.

Bearing in mind that this would be a third car - as I need to keep the 7 seater x5 - how on earth can I justify keeping the 996 turbo when the Model 3 Performance has it licked on paper on just about every single metric?

I am very reluctant to sell the 996, but I know what my wife will do the first time she floors the Model 3; turn to me and say "er, and you need the 911 because.....?"

If prices were rising, I guess that might be justification - but of course they are not, they are flat or falling [EDIT: I dont actually know this, I just assume it to be the case!], and it costs to keep a car like the 996 turbo on the road.

Can anyone come up with a reason to keep the 996?

Nice quandary to have...

Is there any way you can do the Tesla through a business as BIK is 0% from April, so makes sense to do as a company car...

Agree that the instant torque in any electric car is fun, but it is a bit of a 'one trick pony" in that sense, remember they're heavy due to the batteries and not the sort of car you will want to hustle around A/B roads due to lack of feedback and most importantly for me, noise!

It is ideal for commuting, but when you have a nice sunny day and you want to go for a blast, I don't think you'd pick up the keys for the Tesla...

Keep the turbo as a weekend toy, put it in on classic Insurance with limited miles and enjoy it for what it is... a superb drivers car that'll make you smile!

I know it's a different car, but watch the Harry's Garage on the Jag ipace. He makes the not unreasonable point that he would gladly sacrifice the performance for a sensible range as you simply don't drive day to day cars that fast. Once that novelty wears off then what have you got?

Swap the BMW for a model X with 7 seats and keep the TT. :thumb:

jboy said:

Beacuse the 911uk forum is better than the Teslauk forum :dont know:

:grin:

I've always believed that when faced with a difficult decision go for the choice that makes the best story. An electric hob will fry a steak quicker than any BBQ will cook it, but i bet you dont look back and say to your wife "do you remember that lovely evening last summer when we fried that steak on the hob?" No, you remember the BBQ when the sausage was only done when you could write with it. Buy the Tesla on the business and enjoy the benefit in kind and use the less efficient but highly enjoyable Turbo to remind yourself that we are supposed to slide sideways into the grave kicking and screaming and not when our battery just runs flat. Further regularly download classic car market reports and leave them around the house. Threaten that as prices are low you might buy a couple more for investment purposes. Here we get to basic negotiation. After a period of no less than two weeks reluctantly back down and agree to just keep the current Turbo for now and your wife (and you) have both won.

Robertb said:

That does sound logical, but the Model X is so expensive per month it is actually cheaper to get the Model 3 and just keep 3 cars!

4076simon said:
I've always believed that when faced with a difficult decision go for the choice that makes the best story. An electric hob will fry a steak quicker than any BBQ will cook it, but i bet you dont look back and say to your wife "do you remember that lovely evening last summer when we fried that steak on the hob?" No, you remember the BBQ when the sausage was only done when you could write with it. Buy the Tesla on the business and enjoy the benefit in kind and use the less efficient but highly enjoyable Turbo to remind yourself that we are supposed to slide sideways into the grave kicking and screaming and not when our battery just runs flat. Further regularly download classic car market reports and leave them around the house. Threaten that as prices are low you might buy a couple more for investment purposes. Here we get to basic negotiation. After a period of no less than two weeks reluctantly back down and agree to just keep the current Turbo for now and your wife (and you) have both won.

That did make me laugh!

mazza said:
Nice quandary to have...

Is there any way you can do the Tesla through a business as BIK is 0% from April, so makes sense to do as a company car...

Agree that the instant torque in any electric car is fun, but it is a bit of a 'one trick pony" in that sense, remember they're heavy due to the batteries and not the sort of car you will want to hustle around A/B roads due to lack of feedback and most importantly for me, noise!

It is ideal for commuting, but when you have a nice sunny day and you want to go for a blast, I don't think you'd pick up the keys for the Tesla...

Keep the turbo as a weekend toy, put it in on classic Insurance with limited miles and enjoy it for what it is... a superb drivers car that'll make you smile!

The Tesla would be a company lease - and as you say, the new BIK rules make it a bit of a "no-brainer". that is the problem! I do hear what you say about the instant torque, but it isnt just that: 0-60 in 3.2 seconds is more than just instant torque, it is a serious sustained burst of pace!

HSC911 said:
jboy said:

Beacuse the 911uk forum is better than the Teslauk forum :dont know:

:grin:

Well, that is right - no doubt about it......!

Funnily enough there is a Model 3 outside the office which I walked past on the way to lunch.

If it was not an EV it would be no more interesting than the Ford Focus parked next to it.

I'm sure it would be jolly good, but I bet you'd cry every time you saw another 996 Turbo burble past :sad:

jboy said:
Robertb said:

That does sound logical, but the Model X is so expensive per month it is actually cheaper to get the Model 3 and just keep 3 cars!

Well there you go... you can keep the Turbo, buy a Tesla 3 and we've saved you money. Our work here is done!

Teslas are not in the same world handling wise, or practicality.
But for a business commute they make good sense. Keep both!

Robertb said:
jboy said:
Robertb said:

Well there you go... you can keep the Turbo, buy a Tesla 3 and we've saved you money. Our work here is done!

The Model Y (basically a SUV version of the Model 3) will be out pretty soon. I guess that will have a 7 seat option.

So just hold on for 12 months or so and get that!

We have three cars, my wife uses one, and I use the other two. One is of course a 911. I find it helpful to have two cars as you can work on one and drive the other to the car parts shop ...

I've not driven a Tesla3 but I have had a go in a Model S and a Model X. They are facemeltingly quick, although I havenà¤t taken one to the track. I wonder how many laps I'd get at fullfacemelt and how I'd get home again. at least you can carry 5 litres of 98 in a 911.

Both Teslas gave me range anxiety and I didn't enjoy the 100kmh on the motorway, the advance planning, the parking anxiety (are there going to be any spaces when I get there?), the plugging in, waiting around and just arsing around with all the bloody payment apps.

But I am according to my early-adopter friends in what is known in the TeslaWorld as a dinosaur and I haven't seen the light.

I've done quite a few miles in all 3 Tesla models... a P90D S, P100D X and recently in a Model 3 Performance.

The standing start acceleration of the S was, as the mode implies, ludicrous... just laugh out loud fast. And it steered OK for a car of its size. Just not luxurious enough inside for a 100K+ car.

Much less time in the X, but wasn't really impressed with it... didn't do the fast thing as impressively, and didn't drive as well.

Wouldn't have either of them personally.

The Model 3 is a bit different to the S and X though... it doesn't feel as stupidly fast as the S (but it's still faster than anything else you're likely to meet short of a superbike), but it drives really, really well... a good match for other similar sized cars (3er/C class/A4). It has a very good front end - really sharp turn in and very strong front end grip. Takes a bit of getting used to as it's has a small steering wheel and a quick steering rack. It might be heavy, but the weight is all low down and the handling is decent for 4 door family saloon.

It rides well (on massive wheels and tyres), and of course, it's very quiet. The interior makes much more sense on a car of this size/price too. On board tech is in another league. Big boot. Comfy seats.

1st one I've driven that I've thought 'this would make sense as a daily'.

Very sensible purchase if you're buying it through a business too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back