Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker Problem

Moko

I recently installed a Pioneer SPH-BT10 head unit using a harness supplied by Dynamic Sounds who do lots of 911's.

Now everything works perfectly apart from the left dash speaker....it isn't dead you can hear very low level music coming from it but no where near the volume of all the other speakers. I've tried swapping speakers over but that made no difference.

Any idea where the problem may be and how to sort it out?

Check the wires are the correct polarity is all I can think off just now

Ok tried reversing polarity on the quieter speaker (the really quiet one) unfortunately no change.....music is barley coming out of it compared to all the other speakers in the car.

Anyone have any other suggestions on what to check/change etc.

Thanks as always for any ideas.

David

One of the wires connected to the speaker is not connected or nearly connected. Problem with your new loom i would suggest

I'm not sure....if it wasn't connected properly wouldn't you just get no sound....not a little bit of sound.

To make this clear the music is constant (so not coming and going due to loose connection) just constantly very quiet.

Hopefully I will get time to pull out the head unit and check everything over in the near future.

I can't comment on after market items .. i just don't have the experience but what you describe is an amp fault on a standard car or possibly a blown speaker but normally you get no sound if that's the case.

Just a quick check but turn the balance / fader to just that side and see if it's any louder .

I seem to remember reading on a hi-fi upgrade thread that you need to set all of the balance/fader/bass and trebble settings to mid/default positions Before removing the old head unit :?:

I may have completely dreamt that up though :eek:

It could just be a bad connection though, a bit like I get when I plug my headphones into my mobile phone and one of the earbuds is really quiet until I really push the plug in :grin:

Thanks for the reply...I've played around with the Faders/Balance which makes no difference to the volume of the left dashboard speaker.

I've swapped the speakers over so they aren't damaged and the head unit is brand new and is putting out music to all the other speakers so it's unlikely that it's at fault, but your suggestion of the Porsche fitted amp does make a lot of sense I will check over to see if I can spot any loose connections.

Finally got round to sorting this problem out. Upon removing the head unit I discovered that one of speaker wires must have rubbed on one of the sharp edges under the dash and it cut through its plastic sleeve. (there's plenty under there as my unprotected hands demonstrated).

Solved the problem with a few quick coats of nail varnish on the exposed wire as I'd run out of electrical tape and then reassembled taking care not to catch the wires on anything else.

All speakers are now playing perfectly hope this update helps anyone who stumbles on this thread.

Thanks for the update, glad you got it sorted :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back