Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My first Porsche - 1998 3.4 Carrera 2

millby

I have wanted to get into Porsche ownership for nearly 2 years, after owning a a series of hatchbacks, some hot, some not so hot...

Having began my search with a wide net, considering boxsters, caymans, 996s and 997s, I slowly refined this down to an early 3.4 996 C2 or a 996 C4S.
A test drive of a 996 C2 confirmed it had to be a 911!

I had viewed several C4S's appealing to both the head (ULEZ compliant) and the heart (that rear end!), and came close to buying a fantastic lapis blue manual, but wasn't to be.

Whilst browsing the classifieds I kept an eye out for 1998 manuals, as had read about the extra 'peace of mind' they offered due to the dual row bearing, and nikasil liners.

One came up for sale nearby, and long story short, I am now finally into Porsche ownership.

6 months in and I am loving it, very engaging/raw to drive and power delivery is great (last two cars were turbocharged).

Few niggles that need to be sorted.

So far had the oil filler pipe replaced due to it being cracked, exhaust blow remedied and a new water pump.

Aim is to fix the outstanding niggles myself, which will be a learning curve and I will track my progress on this thread.

Hopefully will be interesting to existing/budding 996 owners!

Welcome Millby

Great 1st post and intro..
Just missing some pics (customary with a newbie post)
:grin:

Allot of new 996 owners of late - great cars (especially 3.4 C2's) :worship:
:grin:

welcome :useless:

Well done on buying the right 996. Welcome to the forum.

MC

Forgot the most important thing...

Attachments

• 69e0b847_c0aa_49e0_b425_97de353ca68a_124.jpeg
    69e0b847_c0aa_49e0_b425_97de353ca68a_124.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 1,651
Looks great :thumb:

Welcome millby and congrats on your car. Looking good! :thumb:

Isn't it nice to have that iconic Porsche key fob and know that it's to your own car?

Great looking car...it's so satisfying if you can fix bits on it yourself, I've had my 996 for six months now and love sorting out its little problems.

millby said:
I have wanted to get into Porsche ownership for nearly 2 years, after owning a a series of hatchbacks, some hot, some not so hot...

Having began my search with a wide net, considering boxsters, caymans, 996s and 997s, I slowly refined this down to an early 3.4 996 C2 or a 996 C4S.
A test drive of a 996 C2 confirmed it had to be a 911!

I had viewed several C4S's appealing to both the head (ULEZ compliant) and the heart (that rear end!), and came close to buying a fantastic lapis blue manual, but wasn't to be.

Whilst browsing the classifieds I kept an eye out for 1998 manuals, as had read about the extra 'peace of mind' they offered due to the dual row bearing, and nikasil liners.

One came up for sale nearby, and long story short, I am now finally into Porsche ownership.

6 months in and I am loving it, very engaging/raw to drive and power delivery is great (last two cars were turbocharged).

Few niggles that need to be sorted.

So far had the oil filler pipe replaced due to it being cracked, exhaust blow remedied and a new water pump.

Aim is to fix the outstanding niggles myself, which will be a learning curve and I will track my progress on this thread.

Hopefully will be interesting to existing/budding 996 owners!

The 98 cars don't have Nikasil bores, they have Lokasil bores and aluminium pistons with iron coating on the skirts, either way this technology doesn't seem to bore score like the later cars do, Nikasil is only in the GT3 and Turbo motors in the 996 range.

Dont be fooled into thinking dual row IMS bearings don't fail, they just take longer to do so, flat six innovations claims he's seeing more dual rows than single row failure now.

How much truth there is in that? I don't know.

My 99 dual row failed so it does happen, isolated case perhaps but I'd be weary still, they're not perfect by any means.

Either way the risks are small and they're a wonderful car for the price, enjoy it I'm still enjoying mine even after some troubles.

Job list
#01 Handbrake adjustment
#02 Wheel refurb
#03 Starter motor
#04 Brake/Suspension knock
#05 Leather Refurb Seats
#06 Interior Scratches
#07 New speakers
#08 upgrade cigarette lighter
#09 service
#10 air intake mesh
#11 wheel spacers

Other stuff:
Service interval plan
Work out options/codes

Job #01 Handbrake adjustment

Handbrake feels tight to apply. Having taken off some of the plastics to look underneath, it seems the lever has unseated.
I can't tell whether it's missing a part to hold it in, or the circular lip is meant to do that (I've tried to 'click' it in, but to no avail)

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 084d3518_b55d_4225_a854_7c466319c435_194.jpeg
    084d3518_b55d_4225_a854_7c466319c435_194.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,421
Mine does that too. The pivot shaft is free to move sideways, there's nothing to restrain it. To get it back into position, just release the handbrake and then put a large flat-bladed screwdriver through it and angle it to get purchase on the inside of the tube and then pull it back into position.
Mine needs addressing about once every 18 months.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back