Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Possible move to a 911T

as Luddite says .. check the ddk resto threads section .. Here is a current home resto being done by Gary on ddk .. he's owned the car a long time so kind of knew what he was expecting .. have a read of some of teh latest updates

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3552

Engine and gearbox oil leaks are common on these to a point.. this seems to be dry so that's a good start .. pretty from up top .. well to a degree.

You need to have a good look at the kidney bowls .. in front of the rear wheels and in the arch .

If rotten there then it will be expensive .

For the cost then it should be sound on the bodywork .

heat exchangers look to be in reasonable condition , exhaust bolts look new so some work has been done recently , new shocks or at least not that old so it strikes me as the kind of car that has been looked after .. again to a degree .

It has the usual poor wiring under the dash .. spare wires etc .. i doubt any work will actually be needed there though .

At the end of the day .. its old and some work will be needed ... as a LHD then light conversion will be required if not done .

Lungauer, thanks for posting the pics.. I return to the statement of "everything is relative"... if £55k is the sort of money YOU might spend on a holiday or similar with no expectation of returns other than ENJOYMENT then spending on an old Porsche may be justified as a reasonable STARTING point....No doubt with quite a bit more requiring spent on possible/probable STRUCTURAL repairs, it is an OLD pre-galv Porsche and even the galvanised ones rot.

Beyond that, I suspect if you took time to admire the corrosion around the rear suspension torque tube in the links posted, you might understand the COMPLEXITY of the layered construction trying to resist the desire of that tube to break free and rotate allowing the suspension to collapse, you might better understand the risks. When looking at ANY such repair in that area it is IMPOSSIBLE to know if the inner substructures even still exist, if they have just been covered up with a "repair" panel welded on over a crumbling mess..??

You have hopefully seen from the posts some of the poor quality welds and bashed tin utilised in previous repairs, unless stripped back it is virtually impossible to determine that which lies underneath..?

Those wise enough to document the repair processes in those hidden areas can provide a measure of re-assurance to any future buyer if there is ever a desire to sell the vehicle on for any reason..?

Hopefully you will have also seen and now understand the term patchwork Porsches. I guess it is possible that some US sourced cars that have lived in a desert climate might be genuinely rust free, but even then..?

All that without a thought for the shut lines and general appearance. As for the infamous kidney bowls these are an easy peasy repair compared with the above mentioned stuff, and we have got nowhere near the engine gearbox electrics or brakes.... Have you looked at parts prices for even the simple stuff even IF still available..?

Folk seem to think they can charge over the top for bashing tin or spray painting, when working on a Porsche, and there a lot of bodgers out there. And were those rotten old cars MGB`s or similar, they would have been scrapped years ago as opposed to the time and effort bodgers and craftsmen alike are prepared to put into them... it is very much a buyer beware scenario.

Even having an expert who has been there done that in terms of those complex repairs, he would need to have ex-ray vision to judge the quality of any such repairs when looking over an old 911, up to and including 80`s 3.2 Carrera..?

Again if t`is your hearts desire to own such a Porsche and you are willing to bear the potential cost/risk and if it all goes pear shaped, you might just find someone else like you out there who thinks he has seen similar cars advertised for £100k or more so perhaps you will get at least some money back at sometime should you wish or need to bale out.....?

Have you been watching the TV recently re Climate Change and the seemingly ever increasing momentum in coverage ... but then that will never affect "Classic" PORSCHE market values...Even when it seems ever more manufacturers are turning their efforts to future technologies....???

Perhaps best to give it some SERIOUS thought..... or grab it with both hands and enjoy what you can while you can and to H*ll with the financial aspects....!

Good luck in your choices. :eek:ld:

I do agree that the accelerating uptake of BEVs, or at least the growing unpopularity of fossil fuel cars, is worthy of serious consideration, not least when blowing a whole load of cash on a toy.

Anyway I'm not rushing my fences - and I'm also finding myself drawn to 3.2 Carreras. Thanks all for your input. Oh and the Tuthill car was sold pretty quickly - would have loved that one!

An interesting 911T watch here :D

nice video :thumbs: .. not seen any of his channel before , think i'll have a look through some of the ferrari vids

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back