Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery Dead - CTEK question

911UK said:
freshy said:
Still non the wiser why neither of my CTEK 5 chargers work on the 911 when they are absolutely fine with every other battery/vehicle I have. It's like something on the car circuitry stops it from going through the sequence.

You are not alone, I have exactly the same issue with CTEK 5 on my 911, when it is fine on other cars!

I would love to figure out why...

After 2 failed Porsche Ctek units in 8 years, have bought the Noco Gernius G7200 7.2 amp which I can't so far fault

also with it's AGM mode, good at charging the Cayenne's large stop/start battery

it's much larger but if I consider it's important, then it was about time for an upgrade

G7200-12V-24V-Automotive-Car-Battery-Charger-AGM-Deep-Cycle-Lithium-Desulfator.jpg

they also have the smaller NOCO Genius G3500UK 6V/12V 3.5 Amp charger

G3500-6V-12V-Automotive-Car-Battery-Charger-AGM-Deep-Cycle-Lithium-Desulfator_1.jpg

+1

NOCO is a quality item and much better built. I have 4 CTEK chargers and 1 NOCO which is the first one I turn too.

Since I started this thread I thought I'd give an update and some Kudos to CTEK customer services.

I eventually filled in a warranty request describing the issue and was contacted pretty promptly and asked to carry out some voltage testing in use and report back.

A couple of emails later and they agreed my 5.0 was operating oddly (by this point it would sometimes work, sometimes not) and sent me a new one in the post and told me to keep the old one. I think that's a pretty good result for a 3 1/2 year old charger.

I did mention this thread to them showing others are having a similar experience so I'd encourage those with issues to pick it up with CTEK.

Update from me too - after purchasing a new battery (the invoice I found related to a different battery for a different vehicle :nooo:) I thought I'd re-try the V5 CTEK model I had, but it just wouldn't cycle though the program so, following the thoughts from this thread, l bought a 'cheap' AA version and wired that in - Bingo - worked perfectly and now maintains the battery as it should!

Ironically, having still got the 'old' CTEK MXS 3.8, I thought I'd give that a go on the 'dead' battery, and after a deep cycle, that seems to have resurrected it? - Should have thought of that before buying a new one! :frustrated:

In conclusion, it does seem that the CTEK v5 is the problem, not the Porsche!

I've been having issues with CTEK 5.0 failing to maintain the battery - I think the root cause is the connectors they use to connect the charger to the battery clamps / cigarette adapter etc.

I've found the charger in the garage often making a hissing sound, fiddling with the cable usually fixes it, but I think I'm going to hardwire / solder the cables.

I heard from someone in the 'trade' that Bosch changed their production to China and since then the quality and life span of the batteries has been poor.

+1 on the Lidl charger, at £12.99 works perfectly on all my cars and sits on the 911 more or less permanently.

Just to add some recent experience with the Ctec MXS 5. I bought on Amazon a month ago as it does stop-start batteries too and the wifes car is stop-start

Friends C4S with a Bosch S5 010 (2008 date on it!) was dead as a Dodo having sat since lockdown started - he hadn't put it on trickle charge. I dropped over to help him with a spare battery I had to get the bonnet open and to look at how we might get the car started. I quickly realised his battery was too dead to even bother trying to jump start.

He had a "Ring" branded charger, so I helped him hook it up. The charger couldn't sense the dead battery so I connected the spare battery in parallel until the charger started charging and then disconnected my spare. Short story is that the battery wouldn't charge.

I took the dead battery home and connected my Ctek (clearly not in the Porsche where others seem to have experienced issues ). It showed a failed light after about 2 hours. So per the instructions, I reset and let it off again. 26 hours later it gave a green light. I was very surprised.

I have made the owner aware that at 12 years old, there is a good chance the battery is well past its best and that while it takes a charge, it may let him down at any stage. He can make his own decisions...

I have used the CTEK on my own car to keep it topped up over the past month as it has been up on axle stands and I haven't had any problems.

Based on my experience, I would recommend the Ctek MXS 5

Based on my experience with the CTEK's predecessor - the 10 year old Halfords £50 "Automatic" charger - I can also recommend it as it is still going strong! I just wanted something smaller for inside the car.

I have given up using my CTEK. More trouble than it is worth. Times I have gone out to a flat battery and dropped cycle. I even changed a relatively new battery as I thought that may be at fault.

Since I stopped using the CTEK? Everything is fine. Starts first time, every time. Give it a run every few weeks (up and down the dual carriageway below 3000 revs) and it is good to go again.

Anyone buy a CTEK? haha

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back