Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Crazy whirring noise at the front

Hughb

Trainee
Just spent a couple of hours on the road (mostly motorway) in a friend's 2003 996 targa driving to/from a Porsche owners meeting. I was expecting the car to sound pretty much like my 2003 coupe, but it developed a really unusual whirring/droning noise coming from the front of the car. The noise seemed speed dependant, but otherwise unconnected with the engine. At the risk of sounding a bit stupid, I would say it sounded rather like the radiator fans were being driven by the airflow....i.e. faster =louder.
The fans were running, but not loudly, when we stopped the car in the car park for the meeting ..... and they ran when it was restarted after the meeting. All instrument cluster readings were totally normal at all times.

Is it the fans being actuated when they should not have been, coupled with being a bit noisy with age? And the sound was rather noticeable because normally they are not on, well not at this time of year? At lower speeds there was not much, if any noise, but at higher speeds maybe the sound was the fans running at high speed? Something is not right, here .... any suggestions?

911munKy said:
Front wheel bearings.

Wow - really - it's my car, I was thinking it was the fans, but being speed dependent what you say could well be correct

Won't make much whirring noise at low speed or if you jack front wheels up and spin them and you probably won't feel any play if you rock the wheels.
You will notice the noise most at higher speeds, put the car in neutral and it will still be there, Rev the engine but the whirring noise will remain constant and gradually reduce as the car slows.
Wheel bearings are cheap on ECP or Cp4Less especially with a weekend discount code, mine cost about £300 to fit in a local garage (they also fitted some lowering springs for no extra cost :thumb:).

It could be something else but it sounds like the issue I had, I lived with it for several months until the sound became too obtrusive and the issue was easy to identify.

I think 911munKey has put his finger on the problem, Targalout.

I don't think you can complain about the originals lasting 130k miles!

I agree that the 'put in neutral at speed' test would give the definitive confirmation.

Wheel bearing noise often changes tone when cornering slightly, get the front wheels off asap to be sure you haven't got a broken spring rubbing on the tyre.

Check the tyres closely, sometimes if they're worn, or misshapen, they can sound pretty bad too.

:thumbs:

Wheel bearing or if a C4 then possibly front diff bearings .. its a drone noise that gets louder with speed .

A hard corner will usually change the tone of the noise as more load is applied to the wheel bearing .

It's not going to break up .. it's not a massive problem as such but it does need attending to ..

if lucky then spinning the wheels on a ramp and holding your hand on the coil spring and you can feel the roughness or at least hear the noise .

might be a bit left field, but you mentioned a droning that increased with speed.

When I had a 996 C4s I had a droning coming from the front, thought it might be the front diff. and was all set for an expensive bill

But turned out to be the undertray at the front wasn't fitted properly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back