Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 911 C2 Coupe!

TV8 said:
Shalmaneser said:
cvega said:
NIce thread!
OP - what stereo did you go with ?

Went for a Sony DSX-A410BT. Only complaint is that the lighting is red which is a bit different from the orange dashboard but it's a fairly minor difference really. Functionally it works very well and is discrete - no silly flashing lights!

I didn't realise the device in the front luggage compartment was an amp initially and just thought it was the CD player so got the wrong adaptor which caused much confusion. The speakers in the door should have given the game away!

Looks a good unit. I have an amp in the front and wondered what cabling/adapters are required to fit please?

You need one of these:

CT20PO02_LR.jpg

https://www.design911.com/Harness-F...o-Porsche-911--993----986-Boxster/prod133701/

And make sure that the head unit you get has amplifier pre-outs (most half decent ones do).

Mine has just the two channels (left/right) so I bridged the front and rear left/front and rear right. Means I can't adjust the balance front/back but I'm not bothered and it sounds just great!

Shalmaneser said:
TV8 said:
Shalmaneser said:
cvega said:
NIce thread!

Went for a Sony DSX-A410BT. Only complaint is that the lighting is red which is a bit different from the orange dashboard but it's a fairly minor difference really. Functionally it works very well and is discrete - no silly flashing lights!

I didn't realise the device in the front luggage compartment was an amp initially and just thought it was the CD player so got the wrong adaptor which caused much confusion. The speakers in the door should have given the game away!

Looks a good unit. I have an amp in the front and wondered what cabling/adapters are required to fit please?

You need one of these:

CT20PO02_LR.jpg

https://www.design911.com/Harness-F...o-Porsche-911--993----986-Boxster/prod133701/

And make sure that the head unit you get has amplifier pre-outs (most half decent ones do).

Mine has just the two channels (left/right) so I bridged the front and rear left/front and rear right. Means I can't adjust the balance front/back but I'm not bothered and it sounds just great!

Thanks very much. It has an Alpine unit in it already with a separate blue tooth box that is intermittent. Your unit looks a good choice!

Thanks for the heads up on the code reader. I'm on iPhone so hopefully can find something like it.

On the radio front, not my thing but there's a new guy on YouTube has bought a 98 c2 and his first job was to change the radio. I found it on #thecablethrottle.

On the m3's. I had an e36 3.0 5speed way back years ago. Gorgeous Daytona violet coupe. Only mods where I gutted the cats and fitted lowering springs. A great going thing but I always felt it was way over weight. It was very comfortable but I never could quite get the handling down. I wrote it off sliding round a bend less than a mile from home. I always found the diff was unpredictable, you never knew if it was gona lock or not. It was on the to do list but I never got that far.
As a young man in rural Ireland, these things got some serious abuse :floor:

Shalmaneser said:
Also I hated having traction control. This may just be me but in the e36 if you were at a quiet junction or roundabout you could give the accelerator a little cheeky squeeze and enjoy half a second of opposite lock in a controlled and safe manner. In the e46 having to press the naughty button kind of took the fun away from that - like engaging fun mode then turning it off immediately afterwards. Also the obvious issue of feeling like a total prat if you turned off the electronic nanny and then binned it - not a problem in the e36 as it was always just you, your right foot and the steering wheel!

A

I had an E36 M3 Evo new in '97. I px'd a 3.2 Carrera Sport for it, which I missed terribly, almost immediately, as I found the M3 competent but characterless in comparison. Then I also remember being utterly underwhelmed by a test drive in 996 C2 back in '99, though now my 996 feels very organic compared to newer cars and I love it to bits. Funny how times change perception!

I do remember the lack of traction control in the M3... I nipped out of a junction onto a main road in front of an HGV on a damp morning- fishtailed out, turned into a tank-slapper, managed to gather the car back up but by which time I'd virtually stopped. Not sure what was louder- my wife berating me from the passenger seat, or the HGV driver deservedly giving me both barrels of his air horns
:drive: :thewife: :oops:

Shalmaneser said:
TV8 said:
Shalmaneser said:
cvega said:
NIce thread!

You need one of these:

CT20PO02_LR.jpg

I pulled my head unit today and there seems to be a lot of extra wiring within but most of it looks plug in, so hopefully, one of those adaptors will do the trick.
Curious, how did you bridge please - at the plug or cut and join the wires?

If you have a multimeter things become a lot easier and simpler, but basically there are five wires coming from the phono leads. There is one common ground, and the other four wires are front left/back left/front right/back right.

I jumped the leads at the large connector by pushing some resistor wire down the crimp housing and wrapping in electrical tape (alsong with the unused phono leads) which was simple and easy. If I have any issues I'll go back and solder or crimp but it appears to have worked well.

In other general 996 news my trip computer tells me I've done 1000 miles after a trip to South Wales this weekend for a wedding.

Car was great on the motorway, although the back boxes are noisy when accelerating they are pretty quiet when cruising which is a good result. Out of interest did 27mpg including driving in and out of London and around South Wales which I think is pretty reasonable!

After thrashing the car about in Wales I'm more and more happy with the exhaust, sounds simply fantastic when you're on it, and the handling is spot on.

Only criticism is that the car does feel very crashy over expansion joints on the motorway or poor road surface. Is this common with other 996's or does it point to possibly tired dampers?

Shalmaneser said:
Only criticism is that the car does feel very crashy over expansion joints on the motorway or poor road surface. Is this common with other 996's or does it point to possibly tired dampers?

If you mean that section on the M25 near junction 10, yes it's probably a common problem, it's awful with Ohlins and their hard springs!

Haha! So glad it's not just me then Maldren! I had my (Ohlins equipped) C2 on that stretch of the M25 after New Year and dear god it was unpleasant! Everywhere else the Ohlins was fine (Not plush... not comfortable but fine) but on that ridged concrete of the m25!? Sheesh....

Oh and I too used to have an E36 Evo (In Techno Violet). Had it for about 10 years and loved it's analogue / you-get-yourself-into-trouble-and-you're-on-your-own nature. Great car but now I've had a couple of 911's I don't think I'd ever go back to it or probably any M3.

The ride is actually pretty good on standard (non-M030) suspension but it just seems like it's not very good under high speed impacts.

I know the (squeaky!) coffin arms need replacing - this is next on the to do list - so hopefully that will improve things somewhat and give me a good opportunity to check everything down there more closely.

Dagerous - I'm jealous - techno violet is my favourite E36 M3 colour! Really looks ace.

The spring rates are pretty high even for non M030... the rear ones are firmer than the front as they have to support the engine weight, so the front generally feels more supple than the rear.

Small post xmas update.

Having done 1200 miles in the last coupe of months I thought the car deserved a small xmas present:

YXwgLSH.jpg

I did say a small present. It turns out one of those is the perfect size to fit to your airbox to blank off the helmholtz resonator:

5HQwUiA.jpg

It is indeed a perfect fit. This supposedly frees up a bit more of an induction bark which is a nice thing to have and cheap and very easy to reverse mod! I've got a spare if anyone wants it...

I'll eventually get a 45 degree silicone hose to replace the existing OE part. You need a 80mm-90mm reducing bend according to my measurements:

AsZl5bp.jpg

898omGq.jpg

But for now the standard part is back on.

I've also got myself a spare headlight to practice fitting a projector from an e90/91/92 which are readily available online secondhand on Ebay:

l9bn1BX.jpg

As good as the projector group buy look I'm a product designer with access to CAD and a 3D printer I can't resist a project like this. It's going pretty smoothly so far, I'm at the point where I need to buy a set of headlights for the actual build. If anyone has any getting dusty in a corner please let me know!

All I need to do now is get a plastic metallised shroud for the ugly bits of the projector and figure out how to incorporate sidelights. I'm fighting the temptation to add some LED halos...

Do you have any pics and dimensions of the E90 projector unit to see whether it would be an easy fit into a facelifted car? Are these E9* cars all fitted with Xenon lights or are the base models halogen?
thanks
Mike

I reckon these projectors would be a fair bit too big for the litronics. They're a 3" lens whereas I think the litronics is a 2.5" lens.

As far as I can see the litronics uses a halogen bulb below the projector for the flash (as per a lot of BMWs) and there isn't much space at all around the e9x projector in the 996 housing for squeezing that in.

Xenons were an option on e9x models but were fairly common and a lot are being broken at the moment. The same module is also used extensively on Audis, Jags, Merc you name it.

I just did some searches on ebay for "xenon lens" and a lot came up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/44240/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=xenon+lens&LH_ItemCondition=4

Here's one for example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E92-...0f76c60:g:ZIkAAOSwT1tdXBzb&LH_ItemCondition=4

Hi

Great car and am enjoying reading about your updates. I like how the cars are getting more and more "grown up" as it were. The 996 should keep you happy for a while, unless you just have to have more grunt.

I tinker with my 993 all the time, and its enough car for me.

All the best

Berni

The facelift Xenons are 3" dia and look similar to the e9* units. There are also some well priced Sinolyn units from China on Ebay but it's hard to identify the best solution, they have a BMW type units as well as a Hella replacement.

However, like the Retrofitlab lights, they don't have the option to switch from RHD for continental use.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back