Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gear cables

jond58

Nurburgring
Was adjusting my gear cables tonight, the shifter has never self centred well since I fitted the 997 ssk. Removed centred console, removed cables, locked the shifter with the green tool and we've hit a snag!
The right hand cable sits back in fine, no issues at all. The left hand cable laid on is half in and half not in the black fitting. It won't go like that due to the threaded and shaped parts but also the cable itself has movement in it. Like a decent amount (10mm) of movement/play.
I'm assuming this is a sign of a knackered cable but before I spend a chunk of change on some new ones I'd value peoples expertise

Have you got a picture it might help out? Has the spring sleeve pushed back over correctly to keep the joint in place? Is the movement when the cable is connected because if they are broken they normally snap and you will know about it as you wont be able to change gear?

I'll put a photo up. The movement is in the cable itself. Obviously I know they do move but this isn't that kind of movement it's like there's a load of slack in it somehow

Might be worth trying to connect the cables to the shifter again and pull the slack tight before you push the ribbed black knob into the connector, the slack pulled tight should move it more into the connector so you are not half in / out if I have understood you correctly.

You probably found this out but a tip if not, when you compress the spring pulling the connector back to release the cables give the connector a turn and it will lock the spring / connector open / compressed so its easier to reconnect the cable as you dont have to faff with it. Once the cable is seated correctly just give the tab on the connector a turn and the spring will pop back the connector locking the cable in place.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back