Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4 - Dialing out some understeer.

:grin:

Darth you may be surprised at how much adjustment is in the 996 suspension!

Where are you based? If it's anywhere near southampton there are a couple of good places that can do your alignment, either to factory settings or your own. I've absolutely nothing against Centre Gravity but it's a long way away from me!

My C2 Aero used to run M030 but recently changed to Ohlins. Fitted and set up by Brookspeed's Carrera Cup race engineers at GT3 ride height and about -1 degree front and -1.9 back. It has definitely improved the turn in. Dropping the ride height tends to naturally increase the negative camber anyway so maybe some lowered springs might allow a bit more negative camber. It might come at a cost to tyre life though. I told the engineers not to worry too much about tyre life as mine's really just a fun / weekend toy.

Although I have a 2002 c2, this is what Chris at CG did for my setup as I said I wanted minimal understeer and it's worked very well over the last nearly 3 years and 12k miles

Attachments

• cg_geo_setup_164.jpg
    cg_geo_setup_164.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,104
That's a very symmetrical alignment - very hard to achieve and a testament to the guys at CG.

It's also pretty close to my recommendations above, i.e. modest camber and only minimal toe in.

Spot on with the observation about tyres and also CG. I was there Saturday for the health check on my 991. Firstly the car tried to plough on rather than go round the mini-roundabout they use on their test route, immediately diagnosed as the 5 year old pzeros have gone hard (even though they have plenty of tread), the test drive also revealed drift to the left under acceleration on the straight, diagnosed as geo/cambers not quite symmetrical, proven on their machine when we got back. A CG optimised geo and new tyres will likely make a huge difference.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back