Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

anyone had experience with PPF? yay nay?

adrian993

Monza
I have a newly painted car and am considering to to the front of the car bumpers bonnet wings mirror with PPF, like armour fend

Has anyone had experience with this product (PPF in general) to comment how they have liked or not liked it?

Does the paint look difference (worse) under PPF?

Do we still clay/wash polish on top of the PPF film?

Would a PPF car look worse than a non PPFed car, both with new paint?

any yellowing over time?

If it's done well with quality PPF, then you shouldn't even know it's there. For the ultimate shine and ease of maintenance, apply a ceramic coating on top of the PPF and it will look great for years.

Hi Adrian

I had PPF applied when I had the car resprayed two years ago. If you know where to look, you can see there's a film. If you look centrally at the panel, I don't think you can tell.

Touching the panel gives another clue. Before I waxed it, it felt slightly rubbery.

Maintenance wise, I treat it as if it's unprotected. So wash, clay and wax. I was advised not to use a jet wash on high pressure on the edge of panels as that may lift the film.

Optically, there's no difference (on my car) between the covered and uncovered parts but that might depend on the film you go for as they may have different optical clarity. Xpel and Suntek were the main ones I looked at at the time.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Whilst it's not perfectly invisible, I think the protection offered offsets the negative for a road car, even more so if tracked.

Has it yellowed? Not yet but that's probably too soon to tell.

I had PPF on my previous Porsche and it was OK. Edges gather dirt, wax etc. and the finish will never be as good as paint. I've yet to see a really good job yet.

If you intend on some serious mileage, Euro road trips or trackdays then I can see your point, however if not, apply a good ceramic coating and do what Porsche intended, DRIVE... :thumb:

C.

A friend had a car done by Topaz Detailing, it's a perfect job... very, very hard to tell but he had the whole car done. A proper job is not cheap though.

I had mine done by these guys https://max-protect.co.uk/

They use xprel self healing ppf

I'm a convert based on how many stone chips its saved me in the last 2 years. Not had any issues at all.

PPF is always a compromise, in that it will never be as good as a paint finish. But I'd never be without it, as it's certainly saved me a respray on my GTS after 10k miles on British A/B roads last year. In front of the rear arches really gets some hammer, and the factory fitted film isn't up to the job.

As someone has already mentioned, the edges will gather dirt and wax etc. so you have to live with that. But I don't mind.

If you are precious about how it looks, and are planning on doing any Concours d'Elegance, then you should probably avoid.

so much amazing advice here!

has anyone used armourfend? I can't find much information from them. It seems they were acquired by xpel 10 years ago? Does that mean they are the same as xpel?

My garage uses armourfend but I don't have knowledge about how different each brand of PPFs are

I've had 3 cars done, 2 by Topaz, and one at a cheaper place no longer in business.

You get what you pay for, and when it's done well it's practically invisible in my view.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back