Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo headlight connector

Rosselder83

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of replacement plugs for my headlights, both are in pretty bad shape, the drivers side one having been held in with a self taping screw.

Brilliant.

I'm replacing the headlight trays so Now's a good time to unpin the old connector and put in a new one but the internet hasn't turned anything up yet.

Also any clues as to which unpinning tool would work?

Thanks

Ah right, I didn't think of that, but yes hopefully Porsche can supply your type as they were the best price for Craig's type.

The link was mainly to show the removal tool that craig found on eBay. Doesn't look like he's posted a link though but you get the idea. If you did want to know where to get that I'll sure he can pop on with a link. :thumb:

Just spoke to my parts chap and he tells me that Porsche dont list the headlight connectors.

Not great.

Anyone else got any ideas? I guess i could try ringing some breakers and see if they would chop some off a loom for me, pretty doubtful id imagine.

While not wishing to upset your parts man, have a look at the parts manual yourself, sorry I don't have it with me or an online link today.

A valid point.

Unfortunately i had a look and i think hes right, theres no reference to the connector itself, just the looms.

Ill give breakers a try i think.

Thanks to everyone who contributed :thumbs:

Hi Cobrars,

I too had come across the revelation but on closer inspection the clips that actually clip into the 996 headlight tray appear to be slightly different.

Im half tempted to buy one and see if i can make it work because ive had no luck anywhere else.

The part number of the connector is 999.650.479.40, the chap that runs the ebay store above was a great help but he had a search and said he couldnt get the connector itself.

A chap on ebay said he would sell me a complete front end wiring loom for a 997 which appears to have the same connectors, but £100 for two connectors doesnt fill me with great joy :thumbs:

It would seem they are also used on a VW Touareg.

VW part number is : 1J0973837

(Which seems it might be for the opposite end plug 'black one')

Now these are used, but seem pretty decent if they had a good clean

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TOUAR...821567?hash=item340972db3f:g:6C4AAOSwfHBcmStk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TOUAR...965860?hash=item4445ceefe4:g:k8UAAOSwWspdfNOv

The second link has 2 in stock so if you were to buy both you'd probably get them a bit cheaper ??? maybe £20 the pair ???

I'd say worth a try at that price.... hell of a lot better than £100!! :thumb:

Adding info here just in case anyone searches for this.

The above suggestion was bob on, early cayennes have the same headlight plug as the late 996. The plug is slightly revised so doesn't look exactly the same as the one I have in my car but I noticed two parts on eBay for the same car one had the same plug as mine and one had the slightly different one which made me thing they must work with each other.

They do! Part number is 955.631.239.10 and it's about £40.

Just need to unpin this one and repin the one in the car.

Thanks to all who fired in suggestions

Attachments

• a444e446_811e_4d47_b3b3_106c6d8dd383_504.jpeg
    a444e446_811e_4d47_b3b3_106c6d8dd383_504.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 2,192
  • 5483c234_ceae_479b_b83f_996344843f95_508.jpeg
    5483c234_ceae_479b_b83f_996344843f95_508.jpeg
    702.3 KB · Views: 2,192
Hi Ross, did you replace both sides or just the one? Also did you just use the white connecter from the cayenne loom?
Thanks

Hi there no I just did one side. Yes I unpinned the old connector one by one and repinned the new one, one wire at a time to make sure I didn't miss anything. Worked first go to which was a relief

Ultimately just using the white part yes

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back