Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Noisy differential / gearbox

cvega

Nurburgring
Today during my healthcheck at centre gravity, when doing some routine bearing checks Chris discovered a noise when free spinning the rear wheel by hand. Not grinding or laboured kind, but more like a gear ticking. Just another item to add to a long list.. what could it be?

That obviously made me think - time for a LSD :D

Who's the go to guy to fix / rebuild transmission / diff and/or add LSD?

I'd expect it to be a grinding noise, rather than ticking..

In my experience wheel bearings make all sorts of weird and wonderful noises, whopping, ticking, grinding, Frank Sinatra crooning..

Dont discount it being the bearing.

cvega said:
Today during my healthcheck at centre gravity, when doing some routine bearing checks Chris discovered a noise when free spinning the rear wheel by hand. Not grinding or laboured kind, but more like a gear ticking. Just another item to add to a long list.. what could it be?

That obviously made me think - time for a LSD :D

Who's the go to guy to fix / rebuild transmission / diff and/or add LSD?

The answer to your last question is Mike at Sports & Classic.
Does a lot of gearbox and transmission strip and rebuilds for all sorts of problems on these cars.

Thanks, I'll give him a bell.

Perhaps it is the bearing, I guess without someone in the know listening to it I won't know. It sounds like gears grinding very softly against each other.

If possible, I'd get the back end up in the air and use a plastic tube with one end stuck against my ear to try to hear where the source of the noise is.

MC

Yeah as MC says. Could be a CV joint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back