Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gear lever self centring

jond58

Nurburgring
Whilst I was under the car with the exhausts I cleaned the gearbox linkage parts, oiled and greased. Ever since I fitted the 997 short shift kit it's not self centred very well. Feels like the lever is under tension. I assume that when it's gone back together in the car one or both cables are too tight? It feels stiffer going left ie first, second, reverse. Would I be right in thinking if I take the centre console off, lock the lever with the tool and back the left hand end thing a turn or two this would help? Or do the cables push and pull like a twin throttle cable set up? I can I guess just keep adjusting things till I'm happy but I'd rather accept some advice and commence in the right direction!

hi ,did this before xmas, the locking tool wont fit short shift , just center your gear stick in neutral , and pop your cables in as they fall on the slots, make sure car in neutral before you start job, best mod i ever did, makes huge difference to driving experience . regards elwyn :thumb:

The tool does fit a 997 short shift in fact it's supplied with one. It won't the after market bm ones I know. Anyway I'll have a twirl of the adjusters. It's not undriveable it just wants a tweak I think

There are four things that can be stiff.

The mechanism in the gearbox
The cable
The gearlever bushing in the housing
The fitting which connects to the cable / translates left right on the lever to forwards backwards on the cable.

I would start by marking the cable end at the housing end and disconnect the left/right cable. Then move the lever to see if it is stiff, if it is then investigate the lever mounting in the housing. If it moves freely then reconnect and disconnect the cable end at the gearbox. The lever should move VERY freely with the cable disconnected at either end.

MC

:yeah:

Sorry to hijack a thread, I had a 986 with a 5 speed, then changed to the 996 6 speed.

My 996 has about a 50% shorter throw is that normal? Or has this mod already been performed?

Lift the gaiter up and have a look.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back