Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 Prices

Yep I liked my 997.2 it was a great car, the 991.1 however is in a different league, special and its all down to the tune which no other 911 has (except the GT cars of course) Personally i think in future thats what will distinguish it. People rave over the 997.2, but the 991 is superior in every way (except as you say the steering, which is a biggie) Time will tell :thumb: Personally IMHO the sewing machine engine note kills the 997.2.....[/quote]

I have to agree here as I too have owned both the 991.1 is superior & I think will become the one to have pure sound & normally aspirated large bore engine, you cant beat it unless you go to a GTS or GT3 :cop:

I'm looking to buy my first Porsche. I was looking at 991.1 gt3 as a 40th present to myself. Can't afford one really, but I thought they would hold most of their money. Then I read about the engine woes.

Deja vu for me as I got excited about buying a 997 c2s about 10 years ago until I found out about their inherent engine problems.

I agree with 2 comments made in this thread:

The rate electric cars are being launched scares me. I'm sure the taxman has big plans for petrol performance car tax. This will impact car value in a big way.

The 'modern classic" term is over used. Not many buyers will really care about the 991.1 n/a base engines other than enthusiasts. Unless it is a gt3, gt3 rs, gt2 or gt4 no modern 911 or cayman will be a classic. They just make too many.

Still awesome cars though and the prices have been stupidly high for long enough.

Re the taxman......the general policy is to implement any material changes to new cars and not retrospectively to second hand cars therefore I think its a pretty safe bet that.....yes new high performance none electric cars will get taxed more heavily but that won't be applied retrospectively......that would make the older cars even more desirable IMHO........Having said all that you cannot compare 997/991 in classic stakes to the air cooled cars are there are just so many more of them that where sold. I do think they will retain value very well but the air cooled cars will always be the classic Porsche's in the truest sense :?:

jonttt said:
Re the taxman......the general policy is to implement any material changes to new cars and not retrospectively to second hand cars therefore I think its a pretty safe bet that.....yes new high performance none electric cars will get taxed more heavily but that won't be applied retrospectively......that would make the older cars even more desirable IMHO........Having said all that you cannot compare 997/991 in classic stakes to the air cooled cars are there are just so many more of them that where sold. I do think they will retain value very well but the air cooled cars will always be the classic Porsche's in the truest sense :?:

:hand: Vintage rather than classic, especially with a blue dash :eek: Another string to the 991's bow is the low tax rating, compared to older version (997) and newer (+40k rich mans tax).
I think the free, 20 and 30 quid devils diesels will be the first taxmans' target....Re electric cars, we have more time than we think before those are forced upon us. (IMHO)

Electric cars are bound to represent an increasing proportion of the "fleet", so I'd have thought the government will need to change the basis of taxation for such vehicles - away from a fuel based tax. Presumably it won't be very high VED since the government will want to encourage take up.
I imagine it'll need to be road pricing of some sort.

Anyway, what will then happen to VED and/or fuel duty for ICE cars? It might be that both will be hugely increased to penalise us filthy Porsche owners intent on destroying the planet.

Or perhaps the owners of ICE vehicles will be a group - including lots of lower income voters - that the authorities won't wish to upset?

Either way, the future value of "cherished" cars like our Porsches is subject to much uncertainty.

If you read some of the posts on the Facebook Porsche groups they would lead you to believe the 911 is now worthless! Lol

Not surprisingly it's dealers posting doom and gloom and then offering to buy!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back