Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

McLaren dealer, you couldn't make this up

Watch the Hoovies garage articles on the purchase of a McLaren MP4 12C. Prior to his ownership the service file showed it had $150K worth of warranty work done covering everything from the wiper motor, rear lights to a replacement gearbox. That figure did not include the cost of a second replacement gearbox that had to be installed before he could drive it away. In the 6 months he ran it, it needed a reversing light replaced at$1K

Its still nice to run the Porscher up there and have a look through the window, but if I had 250k to spend id walk down the hill a couple of hundred yards to Porsche Wilmslow!

Even if the dealership experience was first rate, I think you'd have to be certifiable to buy one of these, especially on finance. God knows how that works with the depreciation on these things.

And I'd need lobotomising to do it across t'pennines. :bye:

991.2GTS said:
Even if the dealership experience was first rate, I think you'd have to be certifiable to buy one of these, especially on finance. God knows how that works with the depreciation on these things.

Not everyone buys a car based on what the depreciation is going to be like! As odd as you may find this....some people actually buy a car because of how it drives.

To add a bit of balance here, I have had absolutely no problems with my 600lt since picking it up in April, I also know more owners who have had no issues than owners who have had issues.

Clearly some owners have had problems with cars and Mclaren do need to make improvements but the dealership in this instance appears to be a steaming pile of turd and quite why he even took the 570 away is a mystery to me.

Must be something about that little area of Wilmslow that turns the service advisors into absolute wanksticks.

m119cars said:
991.2GTS said:

Not everyone buys a car based on what the depreciation is going to be like! As odd as you may find this....some people actually buy a car because of how it drives.

True. But as much as you want to pretend that driving is what it is all about and sod the depreciation, when you know you're taking such a bath every time you take it out, that has got to sting a little, no?

G2 said:
Simple Due diligence on the company shows where the issues are. Redundancies AND lots of open jobs advertised means there is a cost-saving focus combined with high attrition. The open heads are all over the company and a lot in quality/manufacturing. If the people designing/building/supporting these leading edge cars don't love going to work, quality suffers and the customer pays the price. Just have a look on Glassdoor...nuff said.

A bit like Boeing nowadays.

patpending said:
G2 said:
Simple Due diligence on the company shows where the issues are. Redundancies AND lots of open jobs advertised means there is a cost-saving focus combined with high attrition. The open heads are all over the company and a lot in quality/manufacturing. If the people designing/building/supporting these leading edge cars don't love going to work, quality suffers and the customer pays the price. Just have a look on Glassdoor...nuff said.

A bit like Boeing nowadays.

And yet we all blindly fly on their planes...makes buying a mclaren look sane in comparison...

Hope the boys get their cars sorted and drive them. Sounds like a the shine will have been taken off though. Shame.

I would have not taken the car and ***** poke it and I want my money back with that poor quality of car build and service. well within your rights to do that.

minute you drive it out then the issues with refunds and returns start.

JEEZ... Hard to believe, BUT... Some time back I was pointed to a vid made by a UNITED airlines customer who had his guitar damaged in transit, and who apparently could get no reasonable response from the company. Being a musician he took matters into his own hands and created a vid that went viral and followed up with others supposedly affecting the company`s share price.... OK so nothing car related but it is a catchy tune and a fun vid...? He also seems to have raised his profile in so doing.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...arch?q=United+Breaks+Guitars+1&Form=VDRSCL&=0

The 'update' has appeared. It doesn't get any better :roll:

Is he wearing one of Jonttt's shirts :?:

Zingari said:
The 'update' has appeared. It doesn't get any better :roll:

Is he wearing one of Jonttt's shirts :?:

I need this guy for my 'Mercedes Neyland' rant :thumb:

GARY S said:
Watch the Hoovies garage articles on the purchase of a McLaren MP4 12C. Prior to his ownership the service file showed it had $150K worth of warranty work done covering everything from the wiper motor, rear lights to a replacement gearbox. That figure did not include the cost of a second replacement gearbox that had to be installed before he could drive it away. In the 6 months he ran it, it needed a reversing light replaced at$1K

I wonder if the 12c/Mclaren generally is becoming a bit like the M96/97 era Porsche... Some bad news and inept dealer/manufacturer response = Lots of repeated heresay on the interweb which multiplies. Great news for potential buyers as these very exotic cars are available for 991 Carrera money.

If anyone's interested, check out the JayEmm videos featuring Thorney Motorsport's guides on the 12C. It seems that outside of the McLaren network, they are no more scary to run than any comparable car and not as unreliable as now generally believed.

Having watched the original and somewhat horrifying vids on McLaren, I had another look around hoping to seek an update, and picked up on the title Heartech for McLaren...!!!

I was logically intriqued, after all it seems that if Porsche can get it wrong on what became a mass produced sports car then it seems possible if not probable that a hand built British car might have a few issues... just look at Morgan... Oops, forget that, perhaps best not look at Morgan..? Two vids here, the first gives a degree of hope for an alternative to paying the McLaren tax the sort of alternative tax that Porsche owners oft times complain, and the second vid is by the same chap sharing four year ownership experiences, as perhaps a McLaren version of Baz...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkswepyiDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-JOcg0TXBY

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back