Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tracker location / battery drain

Dave.P

Hello, and Happy new year !
I've got a tracker in my car, ('03 c4) never used by me and it's obviously draining my battery so I'd like to remove or disconnect it. Could anyone p.m me on where or how to find it, my car won't start if left for barely 2 weeks and the battery was new last winter. Even have a small solar charger plugged into cig lighter socket and have taken out fuse for stereo in case that was draining it.
Cheers

Dave.P said:
I've got a tracker in my car, never used by me and it's obviously draining my battery so I'd like to remove or disconnect it. Could anyone p.m me on where or how to find it, my car won't start if left for barely 2 weeks and the battery was new last winter. Even have a small solar charger plugged into cig lighter socket and have taken out fuse for stereo in case that was draining it.
Cheers

PM sent!

nickyg63 said:
Dave.P said:
I've got a tracker in my car, never used by me and it's obviously draining my battery so I'd like to remove or disconnect it. Could anyone p.m me on where or how to find it, my car won't start if left for barely 2 weeks and the battery was new last winter. Even have a small solar charger plugged into cig lighter socket and have taken out fuse for stereo in case that was draining it.
Cheers

PM sent!

Haven't received it mate :dont know:

Suspect you'll have to contact Tracker to be absolutely sure of its location.

When Tracker fitted a new unit and battery a few years ago, the engineer went to the 'usual' place and couldn't find it. He contacted his head office who keep on record the location of the fitted unit and went straight to it.

He confirmed there are about 5 places in a 911 that they will fit a tracker, chose the location at random and record the location. Contacting Traker may save you pulling the interior of your car apart unnecessarily.

Bluebird911 said:
Suspect you'll have to contact Tracker to be absolutely sure of its location.

When Tracker fitted a new unit and battery a few years ago, the engineer went to the 'usual' place and couldn't find it. He contacted his head office who keep on record the location of the fitted unit and went straight to it.

He confirmed there are about 5 places in a 911 that they will fit a tracker, chose the location at random and record the location. Contacting Traker may save you pulling the interior of your car apart unnecessarily.

Exactly this.. mine is 15 years old (tracker) and the OPC couldn't find it when I last had it serviced so contacted Tracker themselves. Took a fair while to get the location from them as it's that old they had to dig it out - took about a month! Now have the location for it to be removed.

Thanks for all your replies and p.m 's chaps .
I hadn't thought about calling them for location , great idea!
Cheers :thumbs:

I contacted tracker about my own location and they replied in less than a week.
Very easy location between the rollover bars behind the back seats.
However the wiring disappears into the folded cab roof space and out of sight.
Would it be ok just to snip the wires and make them safe and secure or does the source connections need to be found?

As long as you isolate the wires so they cant short out then its fine .. tape on each wire basically .

Only ever cut a single wire at a time .. tape it up then do the next wire .

The grey wire is just the antenna so that doesnt matter .

these after all are live wires .. if they touch the body work it will blow a fuse and if at the dme cut then the car wont start after that .

Sorry to hijack the thread, but De Mort, I don't seem to be able to PM you?
I've tried a few times and nothing is saying it's got through, would you pm me please?
It's with regard to your kind offer to help out with some of my woes with THE DUKE,

Many thanks, and apologies OP.

Stoddy. :dont know:

Stoddy said:
I've tried a few times and nothing is saying it's got through, would you pm me please?

PMs stay in your outbox until the recipient opens them. When they are opened by the recipient they move to your sent box.

deMort said:
As long as you isolate the wires so they cant short out then its fine .. tape on each wire basically .

Only ever cut a single wire at a time .. tape it up then do the next wire .

The grey wire is just the antenna so that doesnt matter .

these after all are live wires .. if they touch the body work it will blow a fuse and if at the dme cut then the car wont start after that .

Thanks deMort, that's exactly what I was planning on doing.
I just wanted to be sure there wasn't another componant somewhere else.

The only items are what's shown in my above post picture , a battery and a silver box .. that's the monitor system .. if a horizon system then x2 silver boxes but they are fitted next to each other .

Its the battery that's the issue .. it dies and the car tries to recharge it with engine not running which it shouldn't do .. hence it causes flat car battery due to the drain .

Cut the wires and tape up .. you can if you wish trace them back to where they are joined but a cut there or at the unit is the same thing .. isolating them is the only important part :)

Stoddy said:
It's with regard to your kind offer to help out with some of my woes with THE DUKE,

Many thanks, and apologies OP.

Stoddy. :dont know:

I've had and answered a pm from you .. im only on from 7-9pm so perhaps that's the issue .. either way i've pm,ed you my email addresses .

Again im only able to read email from 7-9pm .. i don't have access at work to here or email im afraid .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back