Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

Marky911 said:
I'm not sure if I've commented on this thread already Max, but anyway the car looks great.
Those standard wheels are my favourite factory 997 wheel. The OZs look great too. 8)

Lovely. :thumb:

Thanks, here's an old shot from a different angle

Attachments

• img_20170902_120015_hdr_965_843.jpg
    img_20170902_120015_hdr_965_843.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,775
As to the looks, a 997 doesn't take much work in my view.

All you need to do is find a car in a good colour combination, with some decent rims, then lower it a bit, clean out any clutter, maybe give it a wipe down, and it just looks great (especially if there's a bit of heat shimmer, some hot oil smells).

You can still go mad, do a Phil, add duck tail spoilers, big GT wings, aero body kits, alcantara interior and heated willy warmers and so on and so forth (and that's all good), but the basic shape and stance is just so right. :grin:

Unlike my other car, which needs a lot more effort to have it sit well, and look right. You need to take off some chrome, change the spoiler, and work on rims, offsets, rake, and ride height to really make it work... :frustrated:

And it helps the looks - again in my view - if there is no sunroof or rear wiper.

The Club has issued the 2020 Calendar. Leaving aside the cars-n-coffee stuff, here's a list of highlights:

1. 15.05 Ajokouluttajien koulutuspà¤ivà¤t Alastaro (instructor training)

2. 23-24.05 Sports Cup Weekend #1 Ahvenisto

3. 07.06 Lastensairaalatapatuhma (the Children's Hospital Charity Run)

4. 26-28.06 Sports Cup Weekend #2 Pà¤rnu, Estonia

5. 02-05.07 Porsche Parade Finland

6. 24.07 Open Track Riga, Latvia

7. 25.07 Drivers Education Pà¤rnu, Estonia

8. 07-08.08 Sports Cup Weekend #3 KymiRing

9. 28-30.08 Porsche Club Festival Alastaro

The Baltic Weekend (items 6 and 7) looks interesting: Pà¤rnu is just about 130km from the ferry terminal at Tallinn, and Riga is only 190km (and a border crossing) from Pà¤rnu... unfortunately it's bang in the middle of our summer holiday.

It was 5-6c today, sunny and bright, and I finally took the time to scrape 3 months of winter (or autumn) grime off the car.

It had dried a sort of light brown, around the front end, sides and especially the rear, so it didn't look too bad, it simply looked driven, but it badly needed a wash. Fortunately, I've got a ceramic coating so the grunge came off fairly easily but I do hate washing cars in the winter (most of the time it's impossible anyway). My hands hurt.

I could finally put a clean car in the newly rebuilt heated garage and call it a Garage Queen. For one day only I suppose. [/i]

This year, I'll mostly be driving my 997. There are no mods planned (unless I find an IPD intake plenum for cheap!).

I'm really hoping to find at least one new track this season, either the new KymiRing (here in Finland) or the Auto24Ring at Pà¤rnu (in Estonia).

I just need new summer rubber, and I already have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on order.

The Carrera Sports need a refurb though, as the lacquer is peeling off the diamond cut rings. Hmm.

Well, I put my name down for the KymiRing event in August, and I even have a non-Porsche friend as 'shotgun': we're all excited to see and experience the new track. Hopefully by then it'll be well rubbered in.

In the meantime, I had the OZs wrapped in the new rubber, and they'll be mounted sooner or later - it feels like the end of what passed for winter is here soon, but I don't like driving on early morning frozen roads with just summer rubber. It's too scary. Need a few more degrees yet. :grin:

Well, I've got the summer tyres on. I won't take any pictures until I've cleaned the car, it's a shocker. But I'm looking forward to getting some genuine non-commuting drive time out of the car, at least in the area (we are no longwe allowed to leave the region so all of the tracks are now inacccesible to me for the time being).

Just when I thought that it might be safe to go out and do a spot of shopping in the 997 (aka try my new tyres), Spring trolls us with low temperatures, snow, hail and all sorts of weather, in between bursts of sunshine. :?:

It's been a bit nippy, as spring has not really sprung yet, and we're not supposed to go out unless it's essential, so nothing much is happening with the 997. I even contemplated taking it off the roads (SORN as you have it).

In the meantime, I have spent some time on the MINI (frankly it needed a bit of TLC), and I've also got the boat engine serviced and the boat is cleaned, hull and topside, fully fuelled up, re-equipped, and it's back in the water ... and the trailer is clogging up my drive again. My theory is that it's hard to catch Sars-CoV-2 when you're at sea.

RXP. said:
lol re the sea!

Need pics of the mini max!

It (the R53) has it's own thread. I'll upload a recent picture for you.

9972 got trailered to the garage, as the engine would start but not catch... I've got no idea, maybe HPFP, dirty fuel filter? No CELs.

And yes, the XL sized trailer was too small, the car only barely fitted, and the weight was too far forwards. Disco managed OK though, no drama.

Attachments

• 20200627_lc_751.jpg
    20200627_lc_751.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 2,630
MaxA said:
9972 got trailered to the garage, as the engine would start but not catch... I've got no idea, maybe HPFP, dirty fuel filter? No CELs.

And yes, the XL sized trailer was too small, the car only barely fitted, and the weight was too far forwards. Disco managed OK though, no drama.

Its sounds like you should invest in a code reader!

That sounds like similar symptoms when my HPFP went. But after a while I did get a CEL with the car then going into limp mode. Good luck getting it sorted.

BTW, I see we've got similar upgrade ideas (and similar cars!). I've got the H&R springs, but nothing else yet on the suspension. Which bits do you think improve the handling / feel the most?

JonnieD said:
MaxA said:

Its sounds like you should invest in a code reader!

That sounds like similar symptoms when my HPFP went. But after a while I did get a CEL with the car then going into limp mode. Good luck getting it sorted.

BTW, I see we've got similar upgrade ideas (and similar cars!). I've got the H&R springs, but nothing else yet on the suspension. Which bits do you think improve the handling / feel the most?

I've got a code reader, so what I meant was no new codes... even if it was definitely limp.

In terms of handling, even if you do nothing else, get the car precisely and properly realigned with more camber at the front: that really helps the balance and dials out understeer. "Stock settings" are merely a range and this is a precision instrument.

The TPC Racing DSC box is also brilliant, and works very well by revising the way the active suspension works. My inclination would have been to add à–hlins R&T but I see no need anymore.

... and lastly the Michelins are far better than the OE Pirellis.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back