Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Relay R22 [fensterheber power window regulator] behaviour

ch3tman

Suzuka
Can anyone kindly confirm whether this relay should be audible during operation?

hxP2J65.jpg

I noticed leaving the passenger's door open, a ticking sound was coming from the fuse box - it turned out to be R22. Removing the relay removed the sound. Cleaning and refitting removed the noise for when that door was open.

However...

If I have my driver's door open, bonnet open, fuse box open, and then press on the door switch (on the a-pillar, covered by a small rubber 'nipple') with my finger, I can hear the relay ticking/flickering each time I press on the switch.. If do the same with the passenger door switch, the relay doesn't appear to make a noise.

Should relay R22 make any noise at all?

Not sure any of the 993 relays should be noticeably audible although, of course, there are moving parts within. Notwithstanding the indicator relay, of course.

The only other exception - if this is one - is the 'lights on' warning which, if memory serves, was a relay hidden under the dash when I had to replace mine. Having said that I'm not sure if the relay buzzes or it triggers some other device close by.

Probably best to simply replace the relay as, perhaps, it's on the way out.

This relay shall be activated whenever the doors are open at ignition off, and always when the ignition is on. It shall not chatter at all, this is probably due to intermittent contact in one of the door switches. They corrode, you could take them out and remove any corrosion on the contact ring that connects to GND when the switch pin is out. (door is open)
Cheers,
Tore

Thanks for the pointers, all :thumbs:. Will look into the door switch contacts and likely order a new relay too.

The existing one reads 'Hungary' (?!) and date stamped 24.05.95...:eek:.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back