Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to me C4S

nlm13

Well what started at the beginning of the year as an idea to get a cheap MX5 or Clio cup car to use as a fun weekend toy/track car has led me to apply slight budget creep and man maths to end up buying a 997.1 C4S instead!

While looking at mx5's it became evident that they all rust away if slightly damp, so I started looking at 986's instead as they weren't much more expensive. This then led to looking at 987's as my wife previously had one and I enjoyed driving it on the rare occasions I was allowed, and being 6'3" I thought I would fit better in one of these. I then progressed to 996's as they looked great value, and the C4S 996 has always appealed to me, but they all seemed to vary so much in price, and older 997's were similar prices and I prefer the interior due to being slightly more roomy.

After much research on here and the wider internet it became clear that the 997.1 would immediately require a full engine rebuild due to IMS and bore scoring, and that the 997.2 was a much more sensible choice, so I went out and bought the one with the chocolate engine of course!

I looked at quite a few cars, and eventually found a nice clean car for sale just outside London, a 2008 C4S with a decent spec, full OPC history and with a just renewed porsche warranty. I booked a flight down from Edinburgh and met the owner at Standsted airport. A decent test drive followed, and after looking over the extensive history a deal was struck and I was the new owner of my first 911!

A 600 mile drive home followed, giving me a decent drive to get to grips with the car. I have to say it was very comfortable for the long motorway cruise, and then came alive on the country roads nearer home. It is much more involving to drive than the C7 RS6 that I had before, no where near as fast, but much more fun on the twisty roads I am lucky enough to have where I stay, and almost as comfy when just cruising along.

I have now done about 1200 miles in it since picking it up on the 16th and have loved every one of them. I have just fitted the winter wheels and tyres, along with thule roof bars and am now set for trips to the ski resorts up here if it actually snows enough over the next few weeks. Also seriously contemplating taking it over tho the Alps in February instead of my mates diesel golf that we had planned to take on our skiing holiday.

Looking forward to getting to know the car properly on some fun roads over the next few months!

A few pics taken on the drive home

Attachments

• porsche_103.jpg
    porsche_103.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 2,128
  • p2_931.jpg
    p2_931.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 2,128
Nice! 👍

Nice car well done. I recognise those trees, not far from Tebay services :lol:

Well spotted. Last stop on the drive north for a quick bite to eat

Congrats, enjoy. I had some great years in my 997, epic car.

Congrats on the purchase. For your next trip south of the border, a visit to Centre Gravity is the best investment you can make in my view.

Happy running!

Great story and lovely looking car. Always had a thing for the lobster claws!

Enjoy!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a1jgh
Back