Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thoughts on 17s and regular use...

Everything is relative is it not Wilsonny...? I think this thread started out mentioning wheel diameter difference which can equate to sidewall height if the same rolling radius is retained to maintain speedometer accuracy, thus with a smaller dia wheel the sidewall is likely to be larger (higher aspect ratio) and more compliant thus providing a less harsh ride than with a larger diameter wheel. regardless of whatever spring shocker set-up is on the car...

Of course dependant of spring/shocker settings the ride can be altered to add or subtract a measure of harshness in the ride.

In my earlier post, I compared the difference felt between to 911 SCs, one was a sport the other a non-sport (comfort) model... as well as the difference in wheel diameter, the sport had stiffer shockers Bilstines as opposed to the Boge fitted to the non-sport, which would have added to the difference felt in ride quality.

The OP seems to have felt a measure of difference in handling by changing wheel diameter and tyres to match, with no alteration to suspension....?

I suspect oft times when we splash the cash to to match current "styles" comfort and a degree of handling can be lost...depends on personal prioritisation... :?: :)

My 993 came with 18' howl spokes that turned out to be copies and hence very heavy. After circa 20,000 miles on the them i changed to genuine 17' cup 2. It was to my mind night and day.Both the 18" and the 17" were on new Michelin rubber so was a real like for like comparison. The ride comfort was massively improved and the compliant handling actually meant i was going faster on like for like roads.
Hope that helps.

Interesting real world experience ATM300, we can tend to be suckers for style on occasion and who does not like the look of a lady in high heels when in terms of practicality and efficiency, something more comfortable would seem ideal.... Well I suspect the same thing goes for modifying Porsches to some degree, when slamming and oversized wheels may be the "in style" ideals, and perhaps in some cases using aftermarket materials to achive THE look, that may fall well below the engineering quality and design that Porsche put into the initial concept...

Sandals showing perhaps.... BUT, I do remember picking up a Fuchs wheel from an SC sport for the first time and being amazed at how light it was... and an acquaintance has a Fuchs wheel with a badly bent rim on the wall of his garage used to coil his water hose on.. despite the rim being folded there are no cracks in it... which kinda hints at the quality built into Porsche that drew me to the Marque in the air cooled years..

Your money you choose.. :dont know: :)

So for context the suspension set up has been left exactly the same. The ohlins shocks have been set up for Scottish B road driving so are pretty compliant on small bumps. I'm also on the same engine mounts so no other changes.

Interestingly the one thing that is different is that the rears on my 18s are from 2012 so at the end or their life, they are also pretty much down to the min depth markers (2mm off maybe). Will report back next spring when I've got new Michelins on.

My conclusion is that the smaller rims and narrower tyres definitely give a more compliant ride and an enjoyably slightly less stable handling in that I can feel then rear of the car moving around a bit more.

It's nice to have such an easy way to change the character of the car.

I've had 18's on my old C2S and now 17" split rims on the Targa, I have to say the 17's feel great for the car, that said it's had new everything so it should :).

But certainly prefer the 17's over the 18's.

Trev

I've driven my car on 16s (cups), 17s (cup 2 and 10 spokes) and 18s (hollow spokes).

Maybe I'm not very sensitive but I can feel very little difference between them in term of ride quality, even when driven back to back. Maybe that's something to do with the suspension setup, H&R and Bilsteins.

The main difference I noticed is that the 18s feel sharper on turn in, which I like.

Availability of tyres is a consideration. I have run the 18s for the past 3 years mainly because I was able to get Michelin PS4 in the right size.

ATM300 said:
My 993 came with 18' howl spokes that turned out to be copies and hence very heavy. After circa 20,000 miles on the them i changed to genuine 17' cup 2. It was to my mind night and day.Both the 18" and the 17" were on new Michelin rubber so was a real like for like comparison. The ride comfort was massively improved and the compliant handling actually meant i was going faster on like for like roads.
Hope that helps.

I had exactly the same experience, 18' non hollow spikes switched for 17' Cup 2's from Exel and feel the car was transformed.

berni29 said:
Hi

For me it is the standard 17" cup 2's which are a nice light wheel, although I have always liked the look of the 17 sport classics also.

Berni

Bought my car with very scruffy Cup 2s on it. Swapped them pretty much straight away for a set of newly refurbed 17" sport classics. Lighter and better looking...

:coat:

gunner said:
berni29 said:
Hi

For me it is the standard 17" cup 2's which are a nice light wheel, although I have always liked the look of the 17 sport classics also.

Berni

Bought my car with very scruffy Cup 2s on it. Swapped them pretty much straight away for a set of newly refurbed 17" sport classics. Lighter and better looking...

:coat:

Nice! I am going to have to get a set at some point! Do you have a picture of your car with them fitted?

All the best

Berni

berni29 said:
Nice! I am going to have to get a set at some point! Do you have a picture of your car with them fitted?

All the best

Berni

Sport Classics are a rare wheel on the 993 and a refreshing change, however they lack dish IMO. If they had the dish/lip of the Cup 2, I imagine they would be much more popular. :thumb:

C.

cableguy said:
Sport Classics are a rare wheel on the 993 and a refreshing change, however they lack dish IMO. If they had the dish/lip of the Cup 2, I imagine they would be much more popular. :thumb:

C.

I agree, way to flat for me, couldn't deal with all those cleaning nocks either :dont know:

gunner said:
berni29 said:

All the best

Berni

Thanks! I do love those.

andyobro said:
cableguy said:

C.

I agree, way to flat for me, couldn't deal with all those cleaning nocks either :dont know:

Interesting, never bothered me. If I changed them it would be for some RUF wheels which are even flatter...

gunner said:
andyobro said:
cableguy said:

C.

Interesting, never bothered me. If I changed them it would be for some RUF wheels which are even flatter...

RUF are pretty much the heaviest rims out there for Porsche's and 993's in particular.

C.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back