Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

It is 60 degrees, then another. I'll mark the bolts and head before I start just in case there is an issue with the gauge. Last thing I want is a problem and have no idea how far it has gone.

Cleaned up the exhaust manifold mounting faces ready for new gaskets.

This is what it looks like before starting.

Here is one I prepared earlier.

MC

There were signs of possible leakage around the sump, so I took it off and cleaned it ready for refitting. It should be much easier to clean the mounting face on the block and prepare it for sealant with the engine upside down on the stand.

It also confirmed that this engine does have the x51 sump.

MC

Bracket for mounting the vacuum reservoir on the SAI blanking plate arrived and fitted.

Manifold and head faces cleaned up ready for refitting the manifold.

MC

Manifold refitted, various air pipes and wiring refitted.

MC

Mc did you give any thought to cutting off the power steering pump bracket like ela did? I have to admit I'm not to keen on it though I haven't looked much at it yet

Yes, but the throttle body bolts to the top of it, and the AC compressor on the other side, so I didn't bother. Might be different when moving to throttle bodies.

MC

I'm ripping the air on out so that's not an issue for me. It would be handy enough to make a bracket to hold the throttle body but I'm in 2 minds.

If it wasn't for the throttle body I would hack the top part off. This is only a temporary engine to check a dew things, so I'm not fussed.

MC

Here is a more obvious shot of the PS bracket. You can see that on the left hand side it is used to support the idler/tensioner and the anternator. On the right hand side the AC compressor bolts to it, but there is a large section in the middle which could quite happily be removed. I don't believe for one second that the large section over the top is required for strength.

As I'm fitting the PSE to this car I have fitted the bracket and used the solenoid from the SAI rather than breaking out a new one. I have also tapped in to the same vacuum reservoir rather than fitting the PSE specific one, I don't see the point of running two. If I find that it causes problems doing this I can change it.

When we move to throttle bodies, I will need a second actuator for the flap in the plenum, as the 996 has one, but the 997 GT3 has two. The plan is to use the one which was used for the SAI. Since the standard SAI port has a bracket for the solenoid, as well as a bracket for the vacuum reservoir, I thought I would modify one of these so I can be used for this.

I just need to plug the hole in it to stop a rather nasty exhaust leak. I'll machine up a bit of aluminium to screw in to the hole and have it welded in place. Hole is 7.5mm so I'll tap it out to 8mm and thread some aluminium bar.

MC

Waiting for some parts to turn up so done a couple of little jobs.
Replaced bolts in the seats, they looked a bit scruffy.

Turned a piece of bar down to make an aluminium plug for the modified SAI fitting.
Fitting tapped out to M8.

I'm going to seal this in place with the low temp aluminium welding stuff then grind up back to clean it up.

MC

Tappet chests, cams, and covers fitted on both sides, cams timed up, sump refitted.
Experimental tappet chest is going on the bank which will house the new sczvenge pump.

MC

First trials on throttle body manifold prototype, it looks like clearance won't be an issue on the AC compressor or alternator, which were concerns.

MC

Out engineering Porsche. Like it :grin:

Modified SAI bracket filled in to make it gas tight.

MC

Great stuff. Can you not go with the itb's separately and use an aftermarket Ecu from the likes of motec or link? I think there's cheaper options as well. The main problem with going stand alone brains are that you loose all of the factory things like limp mode and whatever else. I don't think it'd be a major issue to a good mapper though. You don't have boost your worry about blowing it to bits so how bad can it be?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back