Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

992 Trickle Charger

992 C2S

Hi,
Long time lurker here - first post.

Great forum for 992.

I picked up my 992 C2S GT Silver back in July and put some memorable miles on it.

Sadly with the weather not getting any better it's getting used less and less (boo hoo)

Last week I took it the OPC for annoying rattles to be fixed. They recommended that if the car is not being used every week then to put the car on a trickle charger.

I looked at the battery the other day and its a Li Ion (rather than Lead/acid) battery.

Prior to looking at the battery I bought a CTECH MXS5 charger, but this seems to be only for Lead/Acid batteries.

So, does anyone have a charger they could recommend for a 992 ?

Would this work ?
https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/lithium-xs

(I know the smart answer is to use the damned car daily and not to bother!)

Thanks in advance

992 C2S said:
Long time lurker here - first post.

:welcome: to 911uk

What cars (especially Porsches) have you had previously :?:

992 C2S said:
So, does anyone have a charger they could recommend for a Li ion battery.
Thanks in advance

The current Porsche supplied Chargeomat Pro has a lithium ion mode.

Get your OPC to install a plug in cable under the hood too so you can use it without leaving a window open.

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=911&ma=PCGB%20(RL)&sp=1&bt=992&mo=911%20Carrera%20Cabriolet&ka=All&co=30&pricetest=&vin=&ac=product&pr=FD93B41BA087555CC1257D12003DE273

Thanks Guys - I'll get one ordered.

I just realised that I was obsessed about the spec before ordering (with spec help from lurking the 911uk forums), but now I've got it I'm wracking my brain what I ordered!!!!

It's a 992 C2S, GT Silver, Carerra Classic Wheels, BOSE, Glass Sunroof, Chrome Sports Exhaust, Sports Chrono, PDLS+, PASM-10m, Sports Seats Plus. Black Leather+Crayon Stitching, Porsche embossed headrests, GT Steering Wheel, Coloured Wheel Centres

It's my first Porsche after a long line of BMW3s, 5s, Audis A4, TT, A6, A7 - with an Alfa thrown in many years ago. Boring, I know but I've now stopped pounding the Motorways of the UK and fancied something different.

V Pleased so far - just need the OPC to eradicate the annoying rattles from the passenger side door and it'll be perfect.

Attachments

• 20190722_160106_178.jpg
    20190722_160106_178.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 17,956
  • 20190722_191314_365.jpg
    20190722_191314_365.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 17,952
I have a 992 C4S and the Porsche branded trickle charger. I asked at the OPC if it worked with the 992 and they said yes. So I used it connected to the inside cigarette lighter socket when I went away. My car was dead when I got back. Called out Porsche assistance abs was told the charger had drained it.
So I went back and got the adapter to connect to to the battery.
Now I get an error on the charger so I am bringing the car and charger back for them to check.
I also have a Cayenne and the charger works fine through the
Cigarette lighter socket on that.

I have been using the "CTEK Lithium XS" with my ( Lithium battery equipped) 992 for a month now. All is well.

I use the battery lug connection cable with quick connect plug , with extension thru the ( closed) front boot lid gap . Its easy as...and a proper way to connect ( I feel)

The Porsche supplied item has modes for Lithium and standard AGM Batteries depending what your car has . Obvious to say, but it is very important to make sure correct mode is used to match your battery .

I have been using the "CTEK Lithium XS" with my ( Lithium battery equipped) 992 for a month now. All is well.

I use the battery lug connection cable with quick connect plug , with extension thru the ( closed) front boot lid gap . Its easy as...and a proper way to connect ( I feel)

The Porsche supplied item has modes for Lithium and standard AGM Batteries depending what your car has . Obvious to say, but it is very important to make sure correct mode is used to match your battery .

PBM said:

Thanks. That one seems to be better (and cheaper) than the Porsche branded item (which I believe is made by the same company). Slightly frustrating that I have to make two trips to the OPC to deal with a charger!

Hi guys,
I'm a newbie here and have had my 2019 992 CS for a couple of weeks now.
I have recently had the 'flat battery" issue which I posted about on here a couple of days ago. 'Dead battery" thread.
What I'm trying to figure out now is what battery is actually fitted to my car as I have a CTEK MXS 5 charger. I contacted CTEK to ask if it was a suitable charger for a Lithium battery and was advised that it is not. They recommend the Lithium XS.
However my battery is held in place by a strap which has Li-ion written in it but the battery has AGM written on it. I did sea that a member here removed the Li-ion sticker as he is convinced that the battery is lead acid due to AGM being on the battery.
So I'm totally confused now! Meanwhile I did 90 miles yesterday and the voltage was shown as 12.1v when I got home. This morning 11.9v so I ran it for a while with an indicated voltage of 15.1v
It's going to the OPC on the 29th for them to check it over. If I don't keep driving it they may have to tow it there!

I was told the 992 definitely has a Lithium battery, and I have the Porsche Charge-o-Mat Pro which has a Li-ion mode. It works fine and I have no issues with the battery now.

Salty said:
Hi guys,
I have recently had the 'flat battery" issue which I posted about on here a couple of days ago. 'Dead battery" thread.
What I'm trying to figure out now is what battery is actually fitted to my car as I have a CTEK MXS 5 charger. I contacted CTEK to ask if it was a suitable charger for a Lithium battery and was advised that it is not. They recommend the Lithium XS.
However my battery is held in place by a strap which has Li-ion written in it but the battery has AGM written on it. I did sea that a member here removed the Li-ion sticker as he is convinced that the battery is lead acid due to AGM being on the battery.
So I'm totally confused now! Meanwhile I did 90 miles yesterday and the voltage was shown as 12.1v when I got home. This morning 11.9v so I ran it for a while with an indicated voltage of 15.1v
It's going to the OPC on the 29th for them to check it over. If I don't keep driving it they may have to tow it there!

zangezur said:
I was told the 992 definitely has a Lithium battery, and I have the Porsche Charge-o-Mat Pro which has a Li-ion mode. It works fine and I have no issues with the battery now.

Salty said:
Hi guys,

Thanks Zangezur. Does your battery have AGM written on it?

Attachments

• 28105a3c_afd8_4c75_8e11_6d49386d65f4_143.jpeg
    28105a3c_afd8_4c75_8e11_6d49386d65f4_143.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 13,247
Watching with interest, as I think all the YouTube vids I've seen of the 992 where they open the frunk and remove the cover, all cars have the Li-ION sticker yet AGM written on battery. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back