Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Acceptable weight loss

Some valid points there Martin. For some reason I can't seem to open the pistonheads thread but I get the idea. I had been thinking of something like removing the cats and rear boxes, and knocking up a couple of 'cheap" eBay type straight through silencers. I was thinking of just running them across the rear as per standard stuff but now I'm thinking it'd be possible to have 2 short ones at each side. A pipe coming from the manifold, then a u bend, then a short silencer, another U bend leading to another silencer and out through the bumper. All small for packaging reasons. Another option is to go centre exit. I must get the tape out and look to see what possible. This is all hypothetical as I've a big list of jobs before I get that far

I looked at centre exit too but decided it was going to be too much of a packaging problem to fit it all behind the rear PU and not have it overheat and blister the paintwork. I'm sure it would bear a second look though.

MartinRSR

I'm intrigued into which series you race in? 911s in particular or all sorts?
That's if you race, or are you an engineer?

Martin as I said I already have a full stainless system fitted and might never touch it but I'm just thinking outside the box. I'd need to get my finger out and sort the ps pump first so I can finish the front of the car and move on

Hi Marky,
I used to race in Formula Vee and developed my own car using a Sheane as a starting point but changed so much that it was quickly no longer a Sheane. I've also helped develop other race cars and my own road cars, both restoring to original and heavily modifying such as V8 converting my MGB and designing and building modern coilover suspension for my second MGB. Although I've tracked my 911, I've no intention of racing one. I find road cars to be a compromise on track due to their very high weight when compared to a single seater. I find it's more fun to just build something that's really good fun to use every day. I still have my Formula Vee and may yet return to the series, but for now I'm happy flying competition aerobatics. Flying is my first love, and at the level I compete at, it's actually cheaper than racing cars.

NedHan79 said:
Martin996RSR said:
We don't have a secondary air pump on UK market 996.1 cars.

That's my confusion sorted :thumb:

996.1 C16 cars do have a secondary air pump dependant of year of build.

The later cars, I believe from MY2000 onwards come with secondary air pumps and an additional pair of o2 sensors.

Early cars had no secondary air pump and only post cat O2 sensors.

My 2001 had the air pump, I removed it as part of my engine build, its function is emmision based, in removing you need to have the air pump coded out in the ECU, you can then also lose the pre-cat o2 sensors.

Small blanking plates are required to cover the ports where the pump connections used to live.

Weight wise, at a guess, circa 1.5Kg saving, the pump sits in the engine bay under your coolant expansion tank.

Bit of a random one.

Is there any benefit to stripping the electric motors out of the sports seats to save weight? Just thinking outside the box as my seats are actually in good condition.

Can the base be switched to manual adjustment?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back